China plates, wildlife, limited editions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JayBee, Dec 6, 2018.

1. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Dear All,
    Any idea what the value of these might be?
    Not the kind of pieces I collect, but the work is very fine.
    My son found them at a thrift shop and decided to buy the 6 they had and bring them home last year for Christmas.
    Thanks!
    JB
    plates_01.jpg plates_03.jpg plates_02.jpg plates_04.jpg plates_05.jpg plates_06.jpg plates_07.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hubby #2 had collected a large number of Knowles and George "game bird" and song bird plates before we met. They made a nice decoration on the plate rail around the dining room walls in our 1926 home. He had saved all the COA's and boxes. When he died in 2002, I gave a few to his nephew (who asked for specific ones that he remembered fondly from his childhood) but I could only get about $5 each for the rest (and yes, I checked eBay at the time and found the same info there.) Not sure what the situation is now, but searching eBay for sold examples of the 6 you have will give you what you are looking for. I am not optimistic, but I wish you luck if your intent is to sell them.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ahhh my collector plate days............:(
    1st time I've seen my Gyrfalcon in many years....& I have the Peregrine too !!!

Worthless...but they still make for fine display items....
    I always have liked the artwork !!

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. komokwa

I guess that's why I've kept all of them in their boxes....all these long years..!
    :(:(:(:grumpy:

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Every so often I get a call from someone wanting to sell their collector plates. I tell them to donate them to a thrift store and take the tax deduction. It’s sad but true, anything sold as a future collectible is anything but!

judy, Fid, Dapunnisher and 4 others like this.
  7. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

No intention to sell them. Gift from my son (and yes, haha!, he paid close to nothing for them he said...) Fine work though. Was just curious as I don't collect these. Thks all!

8. komokwa

looks like you still keep them in the box too.
    Hard to enjoy the artwork that way..................

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That is the best, enjoy them!

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Dapunnisher

Dapunnisher Active Member

For a collector plate to have value it needs to be created by a famous artist ( Salvador Dali comes to mind) or be something of high artistic expression. The Norman Rockwell style plates are a dime a dozen. Better off using those to serve Hors d'oeuvre at a cocktail party.

It's a punch in the gut to be told that the items you hold so dear are of sentimental value only when you see all these dealers getting top dollar for the same junk LOL!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If you read the paperwork you will see that their idea of a 'limited edition' was 'all we can make in just under 6 months'. Throw away all the boxes and paper and as others have suggested, use them as plates. Or decor.

i need help, anundverkaufen and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted