Featured Chinese blue and white urn lamps

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Diderik From, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Diderik From

Diderik From New Member

I just picked up an identical pair of these at a roadside "Used and antiques" (in Norway). I paid roughly 120$ for the pair, which I consider a bargain.

They really are urns turned into lamps, but I'm not sure whether the urns were made for lamps or whether they have been turned into lamps. I am guessing the latter. The wooden stands seem very professional, fit the urns perfectly and have nice tunnels for the cord.
    The style looks more like ming than qian long, but I am guessing these are made sometime in the last century? They are 33 cm / 13 inches from the base to the top of the lid (where the light fitting starts).

Does anyone have information about these? What pattern this is?

Thanks!

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Look for ginger jar lamps instead of urns.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Diderik.
    I agree, ginger jar lamps, and most likely made for that purpose. And you are right, not Ming or Qianlong, but 20th century.
    Very nice quality though.
    The designs symbolize the 4 seasons.

4. Diderik From

Diderik From New Member

Thank you so much, guys!
    Really happy with this. I'm looking forward to study the design, and find a pair of perfect shades!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Diderik, now that I look a bit closer, I think every vase has three panels, am I right? In that case they represent the 'Three Friends of Winter', very hardy plants that can survive harsh conditions, just like the Chinese people often have to do. The three friends are plum (blossom), bamboo and pine tree.
    Will you post a photo of the result? We always love follow ups.

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Diderik From

Diderik From New Member

Actually, there are four panels. I attach the images below. Thanks a lot for taking your time here.

4.jpg
    3.jpg

2.jpg
    1.jpg

[QUOTE="
    Will you post a photo of the result? We always love follow ups.[/QUOTE]

I definitely will! I'll need to get harps, finials, textile coated wire, sockets &c. I try to only use traditional fittings such as cast brass harps &c.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted