Chinese? Brass pole with large hook? What is it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by prd0030, Mar 5, 2019.

1. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Hi everyone! It's been a while and it is good to pop back in and see familiar names...and new ones.

I do not know what this brass item is and would like some help identifying it. It is approximately 55 inches tall, a rod with large hook. I have included a ruler on some photos to show other measurements. It does seem to be slightly adjustable. There is a smaller rod inside the larger one, but I can't figure that out either (how it would be used). I can pull the smaller rod out some, the fish and waves only allow it to come out so far, but there is no way to lock it.

As you will see it has a hanger at the other end for I guess hanging on the wall, similar to a broom handle, but then the fish would be upside down. Please take a look and give me some ideas. I thank you very much! -Patti
    IMG_5079.JPG IMG_5088.JPG IMG_5091.JPG IMG_5085.JPG IMG_5079.JPG IMG_5088.JPG IMG_5091.JPG IMG_5085.JPG IMG_5082.JPG IMG_5079.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. prd0030

prd0030 Member

sorry about the duplicate images not sure how it happened.

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This is a GUESS, but is it a Chinese-style balance scale?

[​IMG]

This is a small one, but I have seen HUGE ones, used for weighing bulk items and stuff...

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe for opening high up windows...

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  5. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Thank you, Shangas. I will look around at scales.
    komokwa, I was thinking of something like that.

judy likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome back, @prd0030 -- Interesting thing, but unfortunately I have no useful ideas about it.

judy likes this.
  7. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Thank you, Figtree3! Yes, when I saw it, I thought this is interesting and then bought it...with no idea what it was.

8. Figtree3

Does the other end of it just terminate as a rod, or is it decorative? I see you did include one picture of that part. Sorry, I hadn't noticed it.

judy likes this.
  9. prd0030

prd0030 Member

It is not decorative, but it has a hanger, like the end of a broom handle to hang on wall.

10. Figtree3

Ok, I see what you mean.

judy likes this.
  11. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Sorry, thought I had posted photo of it

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

When I worked at the mall we had a functionally similar pole to pull down the storefront screen/security door when we closed for the night. Maybe it's for closing a storefront pull down door.

13. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Thanks, aaroncab. I think it must be something like that, or like komokwa suggested, high windows. I'm still looking, but haven't seen another one.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  14. prd0030

prd0030 Member

I also was wondering if it was made to hang from the hook for some reason. It also doesn't make sense to me that with the small hanger on the other end (the ugly end) would hang it on the wall and the ornamentation would be upside down and the bottom.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-3-5_17-22-13.jpeg
    it looks old and used , though...

judy likes this.
  16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like a tool used to reach out of a window and grab the window screen to close it. I saw this done with similar tool in a Chinese restaurant, but the tool wasn't as decorative with a brass fish. Just my WAG!

judy and sabre123 like this.
  17. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Could it be a lantern holder?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted