Featured Chinese carved wood lacquered warriors - Please help identify their age

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by avant, Dec 5, 2018.

1. avant

avant Member

Dear fellow antiquers,
    I will be very grateful if those of you specializing in Chinese antiques could help me identify the age of these figures - a pair of carved warriors/guardians, and a Weituo figure. All three are lacquered: the pair of guardians look guilded, Weituo has a thick reddish golden lacquer.

I have inherited an antiques store (these were among the items) and working through its inventory to incorporate into my shop. Since I am only learning the ropes when it comes to Asian antiques (my areas are Middle Eastern antiques and antique printmaking), would very much appreciate any advice!

Thanks a ton in advance!

IMG_0260 copy.jpg

IMG_0262 copy.jpg
    IMG_0264 copy.jpg

IMG_9991 copy.jpg

IMG_9992 copy.jpg

IMG_9999 copy.jpg
    IMG_0002 copy.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Zinnie, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

3. avant

avant Member

Thank you!

i need help, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

(the right folks will be along, soon)

5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Australia

I'm wondering if they are chess pieces??

i need help and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not unless that sharpie is an inch long....................:hungover::hungover::hungover:

or the chess board is 6 feet wide !! :hilarious::hilarious:

7. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

the weituo figure looks older than the two guardians i think.the cracks and paint looks good,i think it is not younger than 19th century (just my guess),can you show the base photos?thank you

kyratango, komokwa, avant and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am absolutely in love with the first one, it is gorgeous.
    As you said, it is Weituo, a guardian of Buddhist teachings. As such he is often found in monasteries.
    I think he and his friends were originally on altars, and are 19th century.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    kyratango, komokwa, avant and 2 others like this.
  9. avant

avant Member

Thanks so much, all! I am attaching the base photos too, if you have any additional thoughts. The first picture is the base of Weituo, and the other is the pair of guardians.

Although I am still new to the world of Chinese and Asian antiques, the craftsmanship of most things that I have encountered amazes me.

IMG_0268 copy.jpg

IMG_0003 copy.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  10. Silver Wolf

the weituo base looks old,it could be 18-19th century (i'm not a pro,just my guess).I think i have seen kind of statue with condition like that coming from 18th century.:bookworm:

judy, kyratango and avant like this.
  11. avant

avant Member

Thanks so much Silver Wolf! This helps a lot!

judy, kyratango and Silver Wolf like this.
  12. Silver Wolf

btw,you've said above you are familiar with middle eastern antique,i have a silver kindjal dagger,can you check it?i'll post in new thread tonight :rolleyes:

judy, kyratango and avant like this.
  13. avant

avant Member

Of course! Where can I see this dagger?

judy likes this.
  14. Silver Wolf

i think i'm too lazy to start a new thread :hilarious::hilarious:

20180822-173.jpg 20180822-174.jpg 20180822-179.jpg 20180822-180.jpg

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

16. avant

avant Member

i need help likes this.
  17. avant

avant Member

This is a truly beautiful dagger! Have you had it tested for silver content? The bone inlays are most likely camel bone. The stones look carnelian. As for its origin, I think this is an Omani dagger, of the al-Ganobi khanjar type.
    Also, here is a reliable article with some more details on this and other types of Omani daggers:
    http://khanjar.om/Types.html

judy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

It is nice, but it doesn't strike me as an Omani al-Ganobi khanjar.
    I don't know of any Omani (or Yemeni, related) daggers with that dainty floral finial at the tip. Or that glass? inlay (sorry, I'm not seeing carnelian). Moreover, Omani daggers have a central ridge on the blade.

Maybe it is from India?
    @Silver Wolf , is that silvery metal silver or base metal?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    judy and kyratango like this.
  19. Silver Wolf

i'm not yet test this silver content,but it has character of silver it easily get oxidized.And the stone i don't know is it carnelian,i think it looks like glass/synthetic stone.the seller said it was came from somewhere in central asia,what do you think?

20. Any Jewelry

Another possibility could be one of the Berber daggers, related to the Moroccan koummya. And Berbers will happily mount glass on silver, something I can't see the Omanis doing.
    These are koummyas:
    [​IMG]

Yours is different, the rings are asymmetric, and the pommel slightly more elegant. And the koummya has a different blade to yours, but it could be a relative, so to speak. Koummyas also have dainty finials.

Draft saved Draft deleted