Chinese Copper Relief Planter ?? Need Help Anyone Read Chinese ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sam8019, Jan 11, 2021.

1. sam8019

sam8019 Member

chinesecopper (1).jpg chinesecopper (2).jpg chinesecopper (3).jpg chinesecopper (4).jpg chinesecopper (5).jpg Not sure what this is but looks like an antique copper relief planter except the bottom is actually open. Dimensions are 13" in wide 9"in high 8"in diameter on top and 7"in diameter on bottom opening. Has animals reliefs foo dog, dragon, phoenix, turtles etc. Plus there is a plaque in CHINESE so if anyone reads Chinese that would be great. I need to know what it says

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum,

I’ve enlarged your photos. Check the box for Full Images next time, Thanks :)

judy and sam8019 like this.
  3. sam8019

sam8019 Member

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. On my laptop and browser they seem pretty big already and can zoom in quite a bit :)

judy and i need help like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lotta folks here are on smart phones............so it pays to have the pics as big as possible..;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

i need help and judy like this.
  5. sam8019

sam8019 Member

Didn't see the ENLARGE option originally I was concentrating on adjusting the file size because originally too large

i need help, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you'll get the hang of it..............!:):);)

i need help, judy and sam8019 like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are usually Japanese and like a lot of pieces constructed this way the bottom has fallen out due to water corroding the solder joint.

sam8019, i need help, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. sam8019

sam8019 Member

I guess I must have mistakenly assumed because of a foo dog that this was Chinese. Still learning

judy likes this.
  9. sam8019

sam8019 Member

well if this is Japanese , got anybody that reads Japanese ? LOL

komokwa likes this.
  10. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Might have been part of a Japanese Koro or censer. Definitely looks Japanese.

sam8019, i need help and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another vote for Japanese.

sam8019, i need help and judy like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Japanese and Chinese characters were the same at this time because the Japanese people adopted Chinese written script as their own.
    The characters are pronounced quite differently though, so it is technically possible that a book could be read by both and understood by the readers ....but if read aloud, neither one would have a clue what the other was saying. :muted::nailbiting:

Draft saved Draft deleted