Featured Chinese Cylinder Vases - Year Made?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by escmode, May 25, 2019.

1. escmode

escmode Member

Hello, it's my first post here... nice to meet you all! I've just started an online vintage store, so it's great to have a resource like this.

I was hoping someone might be able to help with these two Chinese Vases. I've translated what text I can and know they feature the Chinese hero Yue Fei and Zhao Jun, one of the Four Beauties of ancient China.

I'd really like to confirm the year they were produced. I can make out the character for 'Year' and what I think is 'Made'. But I'm stumped after that. Spent several hours searching Google images but couldn't find anything similar, which makes me think they're very modern?

DSC_0207 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0211 - Copy.JPG

Many Thanks,

kyratango, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

escmode, patd8643, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Welcome @escmode

Lots of knowledgeable people here...

judy and i need help like this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Rubbed off marks appear to be rubber stamped...I'm guessing mid 20th or later...

judy, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hey Mode !
    2 things.....
    1...when the crazing covers the whole item...and base...they are usually newer made pieces..
    2. when u show us anything...please include the measurements .
    we can't tell if those are 4 inches tall....or 18....

7. escmode

escmode Member

Many thanks for the replies - much appreciated!

Will do! These are very small - about 8 inches.

I think at 8 inches they might be on the small side for a Hatstand?

Do you think the one on the left would originally have had 6 marks ( the right column being totally rubbed away). In which case, it would be 'Da Qing Qianlong Nian Zhi' , as JanetPJohn pointed out?

So, if you had to choose would you say these were 70's or 90's?

Either way, I think these are really nice-looking items - I'm tempted to keep them, but that might start a precedent that won’t get me very far in my venture. haha. Here's a pic I'll use for my store the listing:
    DSC_0193_2 - Copy.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

anundverkaufen and kyratango like this.
  8. komokwa

no u won't !:(
    I respect the Bonzai...... but some Idjut will think you're selling the plant ...or plants......
    4 store and listings when you're a seller...KISS.....:)

Plus...if u do wish to show the plant.........SHOW THE PLANT......
    it's lovely...and your hard work...don't show half...in the shadows...let it shine !!!

But that's just me...being me !!! ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

escmode, i need help and kyratango like this.
  9. escmode

escmode Member

Thanks Komokwa! This is just one shot - I've got 9 more. haha. Some with just the vases. I always put my items in situational context if I can - so rather than selling just an item, you're selling a lifestyle vibe. Thanks for the compliment on the Bonsai as well. Although I'm being naughty in combining Japanese & Chinese cultures in one image (although they do say Bonsai was originally started in China).

i need help, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. komokwa

Cool dude !
    Lots of us have been and are sellers...& we well know all the pitfalls.....
    you'll learn a lot here from our mistakes !!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted