Featured Chinese embroidered divider/curtain/panel

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by scoutshouse, Oct 30, 2017.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Another of the three textiles I'm posting today. This one is about 50" x 63"

There is some metallic thread on the character cartouches. Again, approximately 1920 or a bit earlier. I see a little Art Noveau on those little polychrome elements (butterflies?)

It's in very good solid condition, except for a little breakthrough mildew at the top from the attached grounding/holding strip.

I'm looking for some opinions of age, use (Temple?) and (if possible) meaning of the characters...

Thanks, guys!

IMG_20171029_144624_HDR.jpg

Norma_Textile-20-2.jpg
    Norma_Textile-22-2.jpg
    Norma_Textile-23-2.jpg
    Norma_Textile-24-2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. scoutshouse

I haven't gotten any replies :( awwww

But even a translation would be so great - might be helpful in figuring out what it was used for.

In age, color and eye appeal it's over the long embroidery I posted.

Thanks - any suggestions of other boards I might investigate?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey...I'm still working on the 1st one...:playful::playful::playful:
    never even saw this one.....
    that said....there are a couple of new asian savvy members....but they haven't shown up lately.
    It's nice & red is a lucky color.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

i just whatsapp my nephew. let's wait for his reply :)

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  5. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

he says words are associated with the local land deity. so what you have would be the draping in front of the alter for this household deity. no idea how old or new it is.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudigong

Figtree3, scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  6. scoutshouse

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  7. scoutshouse

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no worries Scout....

9. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I think it's very likely late Qing dynasty. Because red is the most popular color during that period and republic period is popular with gray and light brown.

I can only read the first word and third word (from right to left). (Fu - happiness and zheng - justice). I have to do some research on the second and fourth words.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted