Featured Chinese embroidery, take 3

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jeff Drum, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Chinese embroidery is yet another thing that I had never thought about before spending (too much) time here. This is the third one I've posted here, hopefully they are getting better. About 11 inches square. What can be said about this one? (sorry about the glare - colors much better IRL but I didn't want to take it out of the frame)
    P2262184.JPG P2262186.JPG P2262187.JPG P2262188.JPG P2262189.JPG P2262190.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gee, I'd like to give you some good news, but that looks like machine woven fabric to me. And the seam right down the middle (note how the border at the bottom doesn't match up?) is not a good sign either.

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is a rank badge, Ching, not very high quality but ok, not a high rank either and not sure, but maybe a wife's badge ..the reason the seam is "off" is that this is a "front" badge and each piece is from the left and right halves of a garment.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The seam in the middle is caused by the civil servant rank badge being sewn on the front of the gown. The front badge was in two pieces to allow for the opening of the gown which would be buttoned together.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

But it isn't done in "embroidery" is it?

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

way overpriced, low rank not great quality - much better buys out there.

scoutshouse, kyratango and Jeff Drum like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Thanks, that's a great comparable. Value is not an issue since I paid 1/50 that amount. Yes, looking at it now I can see it is clearly woven, but hand-woven. Do the eight "auspicious symbols" sprinkled around make it any earlier? In your link it states: "the plain field of clouds without auspicious symbols would indicate a Ch'ng Dynasty date of 1898 or later".

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I cannot say anything about a possible date. I was only looking for a good example of a woven rank badge.

scoutshouse, Jeff Drum and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

11. KikoBlueEyes

I am always on the lookout for antique Chinese silk embroideries especially rank badges. It is really the only thing I collect. With my walls already full, I tend to be pretty selective though. Jeff. You seem to run across things, so please continue to show them.

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I just sold a pair of Lion badges, General rank, so just one down from the top.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for telling me this!:)

14. Jeff Drum

OK, you asked for it. This is a real embroidery this time. I liked the bugs flying around and the ducks seeming to squabble over some food, and thought the embroidery quality was pretty good. I thought maybe a bit earlier than the others I've shown. Unfortunately the pictures look quite bad, a combination of being behind glass and too bright a day and of course the colors aren't great to begin with due to age. Anyway...
    P3032252.JPG P2282221.JPG P2282223.JPG P2282224.JPG P2282225.JPG P2282226.JPG P2282227.JPG P2282228.JPG P2282229.JPG

15. KikoBlueEyes

That’s a real lovely piece. I can’t discuss it yet with you as I am traveling but I’ll be back Friday.

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  16. Jeff Drum

One more to look at when you're back. This one is in much better condition without sun damage, and has a couple different stitches. Maybe relatively newer?
    P3082266.JPG P3082270.JPG P3082269.JPG P3082268.JPG P3082267.JPG

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

That is a really beautiful piece. You did good. Not what I am looking for though. I already have several miscellaneous pieces of embroidery like this. Thanks for tracking it down.

Figtree3 and Jeff Drum like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

This is a more modern piece, you are right. Where the old ones usually come from are clothing or other objects that have been cut up. While the colors can remain vibrant in an old piece, one of the things that give this away as newer is that it is like a picture - a design unto itself. Please keep taking pictures of things you see.

Jeff Drum and kyratango like this.
  19. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Member

mid 19th century seventh rank mandarin badge in kesi technique

kyratango likes this.
  20. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Member

mid 19th century fourth rank wild goose badge in kesi technique

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted