Chinese export platter, blue and white, said to be 19th century

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Aug 15, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

I did a lot of looking for this particular pattern but could not find it, can anyone give a better ID?

91890500_20200729135253.jpg 60198903_20200729135252 (1).jpg 60198903_20200729135252.jpg 42323133_20200729135302.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are there no marks?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With that yellowish white, the uneven glaze, and the design I would say Chinese inspired European, rather than Chinese Export. Very nice though.

blooey, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Not one picture of the whole thing?

6. Any Jewelry

And the back please.

7. sunday silence

I have a picture of the entire plate, but the file was too large to download. I will work on this technical glitch.

I did not go to that website. I went through nearly all the pics I saw on worthpoint but did not see anything like this. It looks like a walled part of the Imperial city.

There was apparently no mark on the underside. Not sure if there was a pic or not. This is from an auction a few days ago in CT. I had to pass on this as I did not know much about this particular pattern,

8. sunday silence

9. Any Jewelry

Those Chinese walls were a hugely popular theme in Europe, along with pagodas, those half round bridges and people with parasols. And willows, of course.

judy likes this.
  10. sunday silence

that's the whole pic. I think it looks yellow in that one picture maybe because of flash or if they took the pic outside. They must have a picture of the back so hold on.

judy likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks Brit to me.

judy likes this.
  12. sunday silence

anyjewelry: Can you explain what you mean about the uneven glaze? Am I supposed to be looking at the thickness here or what? I am new to this so uncertain what that term means. Can you show me what part of the photos are you referring to?

judy likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

If you look at the way the light is reflected in this photo, you can see that the surface of the glaze isn't entirely flat:

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

That was my impression too.

judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that's early 19th C Staffordshire made transferware. The confused botany is something of a clue, as is the colour. And the border.

16. sunday silence

thanks for all this very helpful information.

judy likes this.
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    judy likes this.
  18. sunday silence

the second platter you show there seems very common, I saw quite a few of those patterns on the worthpoint site.

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Chinese porcelain and Chinese export porcelain are things I've tried to figure out with limited success. Every so often I join the Gotheborg Discussion Boards and try to find answers to a piece or other I've got around when I'm stumped.

I think AJ was pointing out the sort of lumpy look of the surface on that platter. Some Chinese export have a lumpy surface they often refer to as orange peel. There are often patterns and shapes to European tastes often in a Chinese style.

I can't say much with any certainty about the piece you show other than I do think it looks hand-painted.

This has similar central elements though certainly not an exact match.

https://www.carters.com.au/index.cf...s-export-ware-platters-chargers-and-ashettes/

[​IMG]
    A c.1800 Chinese export blue and white ashette, octagonal form, deep underglaze blue decoration of flowering urns within a fenced garden, a complex floral, scroll and panelled border, large crack and old re-sticking, previously held by old staple repairs. 32.7 x 25 cm

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. KEVIN AIREY

KEVIN AIREY Well-Known Member

Tip - paste picture on word and just copy paste onto forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted