Chinese famille verte charger. what does the mark on the bottom mean? Any idea how old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 24, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's the Dhvaja, one of the eight Buddhist Ashtamangala - there are more of them around the margin of the plate. It is also a good sign it is pre the Cultural Revolution as the Republic was not big on religion.

3. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

so perhaps early 20th century? Its chinese or maybe Tibetan?

judy likes this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The Buddhist symbols were used on Chinese and Japanese (also Indian) items, I think it probably is Chinese but does certainly have some Japanese stylistic traits. Probably late 19th I would think.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And Himalayan, where they originated.:) But this looks Chinese to me too.

6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It looks liek a famille verte Kangxi plate. The double blue line indicate it is presenting itself as chinese, so the plate is not saying it is japanese, and the Kangxi Mark on the back is common to be sometimes a leaf or a rabbit or many other designs. If you google kangxi backmarks you can find a inventory of all the kangxi backmarks.

I think the symbol means a pair of Books. You can find it on page 141 of this online book.

https://archive.org/details/handbookofmarkso00burtuoft/page/138/mode/2up download - 2021-10-25T231243.942.png

https://archive.org/details/chineseporcelain00xian/page/n117/mode/2up

Ken Yap, KSW, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted