Featured Chinese ginger jar / transportation pot?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steven85, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Steven85

Steven85 Member

Has anyone got an idea if this is a Chinese ginger jar or some kind of oriental transportation pot? Potentially old? That’s my best guess.. thank you:

upload_2019-6-5_21-31-46.png

1 more pic to follow

2. Steven85

Steven85 Member

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Do not be discouraged if you don’t get answers right away on certain things. Always check back on your posts for responses. You can set alerts in your profile. This is a Worldwide Forum, so answers come in at all times.

4. Steven85

Steven85 Member

That’s great, I appreciate that. Thanks again, Steven

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Steven, and antique.
    The general name is storage vessel, and East Asian, probably Southeast Asian.
    Asian storage vessels were used to store anything that needed to be protected from outside influences. So food, spices, wine, fresh water, but also heirlooms and other valuables. It doesn't have any rings around the sides, which is usual for transportation vessels.
    They were made and traded throughout East Asia, and sometimes it is difficult to find the exact origin and age.
    I'll see if I can find out more about this one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    charlie cheswick likes this.
  6. Steven85

Steven85 Member

Thank you so much. I suppose they were seen as fairly disposable at the time then, hence no lid?

7. Any Jewelry

I think it would have had a wooden stopper, probably with a cloth between the pot and the stopper. The older ones were often treasured possessions, not disposable at all. Some were said to be magic.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    charlie cheswick likes this.
  8. Steven85

Steven85 Member

Really interesting, I’ll have a little read up in them tonight

9. Any Jewelry

I have been searching in my Southeast Asian storage vessel catalogue, can't find this type. But, given the general shape, wide with those high 'shoulders', I think this one is from Thailand as well.
    Many others of that general shape are dated as 15th-16th century, but I couldn't say if this one is. But I hope this will help.

crazycrowlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted