CHINESE GREY STONE HEAD OF GUANYIN?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Heather Cantwell, Sep 20, 2020.

1. IMG_2138 (1).jpeg IMG_2138 (1).jpeg IMG_2139 (1).jpeg IMG_2140.jpeg IMG_2141.jpeg IMG_2142.jpeg IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2144.jpeg IMG_2138 (1).jpeg IMG_2139 (1).jpeg IMG_2140.jpeg IMG_2141.jpeg IMG_2142.jpeg IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2144.jpeg can anyone help with identifying this figure? I have no idea who it is, or from where. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can u go to edit your post and hit FULL IMAGE on the pics....so we can see them better...please !

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your sculpture is from India, and most likely represents a Hindu deity. It is difficult to tell if the head originally had earrings, which would point to a female deity. Males and females were depicted with similar crowns.
    [​IMG]
    https://asiasociety.org/education/shakti-power-feminine

@Any Jewelry may be able to be more specific with identity and date.

5. I wonder if it might be Vishnu. My husband says it's a fake. Thoughts?

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A beautiful sculpture, Heather. She is a Hindu deity and Indian, as 2many said. The style looks Central Indian to me, Madhya Pradesh.
    She looks like a Goddess, but unfortunately earrings are not a factor in defining the gender. You have to look further down, at the anatomy.;) Which is missing in this case.

Hindu deities are recognized by the attributes they carry. No arms, no attributes.
    The general name for Hindu Goddesses is Devi (Dewi in Indonesia). Devi is the supreme Mother Goddess, and all other Goddesses are manifestations of her. So I would call her Devi. A beautiful name, where I live many girls are called Dewi (pronounced Daywee).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Figtree3, stracci, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted