Chinese/Japanese vase help.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kerim, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Kerim

Kerim Member

20210404_125503.jpg IMG_20210404_125609_resize_30.jpg 20210404_125448_resize_80.jpg Greetings to the forum. I love to have found such a great place to discuss our findings. Can someone help me with this find. Is it Chinese or Japanese? Old or new. ? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think this is either Chinese or Japanese.

3. Kerim

Kerim Member

Geezers, shows you how much I know. :oops:

judy likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Ive enlarged your photos, just check the box for Full Images next time, :)

judy and Kerim like this.
  5. Kerim

Kerim Member

Thank you !

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

Kerim likes this.
  7. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

It appears to be Chinese to me, just a bit more calligraphic in hand written style.

The oval with characters in it below the blue writing, is upside down in your photo, but contains Chinese writing, but is a bit hard to read clearly. The Character on the left 'appears' to be but it's hard to make out the rest for me.

judy and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you have any ideas about the style and colorway of the decoration?

10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Mmm, that is interesting. The pattern and glaze style is Persian, but it's not quite right. The colours are off for a Persian piece and the foot is wrong. So given that it has Chinese marks, and the foot looks Chinese I would say it is a Chinese piece either made for export to the Middle East, or for whatever reason made in the Persian style.

It's not something I have come across before, but it may explain a few anomalies I have seen in the past on unmarked 'Persian' items. I don't think it's a modern repro or fake from the pics. If you can get a much clearer image of the impressed mark so it can be translated that may help.

ktesart and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Kerim

Kerim Member

Will do , I'll try and zoom in better . Thank you !

12. Kerim

Kerim Member

I tried to zoom in and then darken with an filter app. Dont know if that helped . Screenshot_20210405-072549_Snapseed.jpg

13. Kerim

Kerim Member

.I will try and get a better picture when I get back home . Thanks again !! Screenshot_20210405-073101_Snapseed_resize_77.jpg

14. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Late seeing it but not one I can help with I am afraid.

Kerim likes this.
  15. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

After seeing the close-up, it could be either Chinese or Japanese as these exact characters appear in both.

I found a reference which states, 許特賣專 = something along the lines of special permit for sale

I've seen this appear on Japanese art products in all manner of medium from brass items, cloisonne and ceramics in many different cultural styles.

I'm sorry, but I can't make out the blue coloured handwritten characters.

Also, I should point out, I could be mistaken as to the characters in the small section also, these do seem to fit with other pieces I've seen.

16. Kerim

Kerim Member

Thank you for taking your time and trying to help! I appreciate it very much . I guess it is what it is , and will enjoy looking at it as such. The colors is what drew me to it. Thanks again !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. ktesart

ktesart New Member

Hello All
    Just saw this. Bare with me I will look into this. For starters, Japanese see Kozan for now.
    Thank You
    Kevin

18. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks to @Couch Potato Wannabe I can see the impressed mark reads as 'Patent' in Japanese, from the late 19th century when they introduced a patent system based on the French version of the day.

So we have it as Japanese, just need to translate the blue mark now!

ktesart likes this.
  19. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I don't usually like to correct typos, but this common error makes your sentence mean 'get naked with me'! It should be 'bear', hope it gives you a chuckle.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  20. Kerim

Kerim Member

For a second , it was the best welcome to any forum I ever had! :p:D

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted