Featured Chinese medicine doll ? makers mark help and age please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tempusfugit, Dec 27, 2020.

1. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Good evening everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the holidays and keeping safe.

I have a couple of Chinese medicine dolls that I would be interested to find some information about if anyone can help ?

The first one has a makers mark / signature to the foot but I have no idea what it says or who the maker is.

I believe these where used by Chinese upper class women when visiting the doctir and I believe some where made for the tourist trade at a later date.

I have a few pieces I would like some help with that I will listing over the next few days for your viewing pleasure.

Any help would be very much appreciated IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1949.JPG .

Thank you

Kindest regards
    Brett

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This one looks newer, what's it made of?

judy and tempusfugit like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it has the look of an ivory tooth....

pearlsnblume, judy and tempusfugit like this.
  4. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

I am really unable to tell at the moment, my magnifying glass isn't strong enough and the only lines I can see are those in the 4th picture along her back. It feel cold to the touch and does not appear to glow "Blue under black light" It weighs in at 24g. I thought it might be porcelain but would it be solid if it was ?

Also its signed, so someone must have been happy to have their mark on it ?

Thank again for all your help

Kind regards
    Brett

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I can't help with the signature.

On the back, where her hand meets her hair, the texture looks almost granular. Is that a trick of the photo, or does it really look like that? If so, perhaps it is made of walrus tusk, which has a granular texture inside near the base Chinese medicine doll.JPG of the tooth.

tempusfugit, judy and antidiem like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it isn't very old. Charming nonetheless.
    Just wondering, could it be celluloid?
    Doctors had them in their office, and women could point out the part of the body where their complaint was, so they didn't have to undress (modesty).

pearlsnblume, judy and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Alice has just told me this. How the heck does an eight year old know about Chinese medicine dolls?. She knew about it very sweetly that ladies maybe didn’t want to show their bodies to doctors. All in the correct context too not just about her dolls or anything worrying.

Fid, kyratango, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Your Alice is amazing in many ways.:)

9. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Thank you for all your thoughts. When you say not old would anyone be able to give a rough estimate of age please ?

I ran it under hot water to see if it smelled of camphor but it doesn’t seem to give off any smell.

I’ve attached some close ups. She seems to have a crack running up her back and one across her wrist.

I bought it from the US many years ago from an antique dealer near Jacksonville. The story with it ( because I always ask if there is any history) was that there was a small town called Chinese town there during the gold rush and it may well have come from there, but that may just be fantasy story, who knows !

Thanks again
    Kind regards
    TF CD7D875E-A0E9-4AE0-A291-2A00DAD82719.jpeg 09B3E399-E3D8-4E13-AFC3-2C8583783870.jpeg 1895F57B-7401-4D0B-8CF5-3DC5A988D9AF.jpeg 381C707E-081B-4048-ADD9-3C98321BB019.jpeg 9EF70F1C-2E33-4A62-95C9-46094994FD52.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    pearlsnblume, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Does Alice have access to the internet? Do her friends have access to the internet?

When we were growing up most of us had to look stuff up in encyclopedias or go to the library. Now all they have to do is turn on their phone, tablet, or laptop to find out anything they want to know about. Maybe one of her friends has a family member who collects antiques & has one of these dolls.

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes she does and is an avid follower of horrible histories programmes which are historically accurate but produced for children albeit with the gruesome bits included!.
    If anyone isn’t familiar with them they don’t shy away from almost any historical figure and they manage to make them very amusing even for adults. I suspect that’s where she knows about it from but I’ll ask her tomorrow.
    They did excellent ones on Coco Chanel, the suffragette movement, Rosa Parks etc as well as the kings,queens,wars etc. I have to admit I’ve learned far more from those than from any history lessons I’ve ever had!.

12. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

I think its just the photo giving that impression. I've had a good look today and can't see any granular effect. Thanks for the idea though, never thought to look at teeth.

Kind regards
    TF

2manybooks, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  13. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

1DFD8D14-60C0-4C85-9BFC-DF6D9C6B7C7C.jpeg FD9EAA28-BC4E-4433-9C3A-6A9380DD4FFC.jpeg Here she is under uv light. The second photo is a plastic ruler. If they help

Kindest regards
    TF

Any Jewelry, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Children are much more sophisticated than we were when we were growing up which I contend is not always such a good thing. However, it is a fact & I don't think there is much we can do about it all.

Of course, it is likely that our parent's generations thought the same of those of us who grew up in the 60's & 70's. I am sure they thought that rock music, free love & feminism was going to be the downfall of society. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I look at my own GD who I tell everyone is 13 going on 20 but I think in a way it is sad to have lost some of the innocence of childhood.

I just have to trust that somehow both my GD & Alice will grow to be happy, productive, secure adult women. :happy::happy:

15. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Evening all, I hope you are all keeping safe and well. Just thought I would show you some pictures of this medicine doll under a microscope. If you look closely you should be able to see the lines / grain / carving marks. Am I write in saying then this is possibly fish bone ? a tooth or ivory and not plastic or celluloid ? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thank you
    Kindest regards
    TF IMG_2092.JPG IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2094.JPG IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2093.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted