Chinese ? Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 17, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Something or nothing?
    Glass or porcelain type lilac beads and black glass type beads that aren’t all uniform. The odd one with a flat side or some blemishes . No clasp to help sorry. Purple crimped type beads look to be a different substance to the flat ones. Less shiny with almost a stone type look to them with surface blemishes.
    Thanks
    :)
    D3328B6F-14BD-48CA-B8E0-13D31A188BC3.jpeg EF04084F-1845-4333-B00B-259245AF9EFB.jpeg A0C60625-D0D9-44C7-A952-B833DF6D66DD.jpeg AF1215C4-1D62-41E6-8FC6-0C02F3737889.jpeg A8BF3345-3EB0-42CC-9593-1688BA077594.jpeg 6D1AE23B-037D-4CF3-8DCF-54888214405F.jpeg

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The beads that look like impressed sealing wax have the appearance of being based on an impression of an actual engraved gem. I don't really know much about this type. Letters look more like a form of archaic Greek. Inscription may be a set of initials that stand for something. There are also ones that are judged to be sort of pseudo mystic inscriptions. Very odd; have not seen the like.

scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  3. Bronwen

To refine first answer. It looks like it was taken from a seal relating to abraxas/gnosticism. If you go here

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/gems/tassie/default.htm

& put 446 in as the number of the gem you want to see in the little box at the bottom, you will see something similar & others around it. You can change over from the images to the explanatory text, where it is easier to read the writing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for the link :)

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

6. Bronwen

Remember, the seal would have made an impression, in raised letters, that would look like this:

upload_2019-6-17_20-38-3.png

Are the irregular edges of the beads all the same, all identical? When it comes to the smaller mauve beads, are they all alike? Looks like maybe not, although could be 2 or 3 shapes that repeat, I can't tell.

Obviously not a production of antiquity, but, given the look of the mauve beads & the way they are all strung, my best guess is a souvenir of Greece, perhaps more of a museum than a geographical location.

KSW likes this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There are 3 patterns that repeat but the flat beads all look pretty much the same shape.
    The smaller beads are all the same shape but with different blemishes that look original rather than wear and tear.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

My impression is that the smaller mauve beads have been touched up with artificial crud to suggest they were excavated.

KSW likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Even what they are strung on is very odd. How many different strands/colors are involved?

KSW likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ll have a look when I get home.
    ‘Artificial crud’ -is that a technical term?:hilarious:
    It’s yellow paint of some sort.

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The string through all the beads is plain beige. On the loose ends there is lime green, black and red but not in any logical way, just knotted into the beige. On one end the green goes through the first bead. It's all a bit random!

Draft saved Draft deleted