Featured Chinese Oil Spot Cup

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

Hi, all! I hope your holidays were just awesome! Mine was really busy and fun. Glad it's OVER now! Ha, ha!

I have this little teacup that I believe would be Chinese porcelain with an oil spot glaze. There are no marks and it has an unusual feature in that it is lined inside and around the top edge with silver metal. I'm pretty sure it's sterling but there are no marks on the silver either. The quality looks to me to be top shelf. I don't think it has much age or anything. But, sometimes, it looks like Chinese oil spot porcelain can be quite valuable.

Is there anyone here familiar with this? Any idea where I might be able to find more information on this? It's 3" diameter at the top and 2" tall.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Juli

OilSpotCup10.jpg OilSpotCup1.jpg OilSpotCup3.jpg

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Pretty thing - looks to me more like an iridescent crystalline glaze than oilspot...

~Cheryl

3. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Hi, Cheryl! Thanks for the alternative phrasing! When I searched with those words, first up came a page showing a cup with a silver edge! The first I've seen when looking under "oil spot"! LOL, and what is the item? An OIL SPOT cup with an INCREDIBLE VALUE! I'm SO confused. :dead: Here's the page. And, darn it, I don't see a picture of the bottom.

http://www.alaintruong.com/archives/2017/09/09/35660524.html

Thanks again! I'll keep looking.

Juli

ascot likes this.
  4. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Bump! Hoping someone will see this and know more about it.

Thank you!

Juli

5. DragonflyWink

Have looked at this on three different monitors, enlarged many times, and it still looks to me like a crystalline glaze rather than oil spot - it's quite lovely, but suspect it's most likely a fairly recent fancy tea cup, lined with fine silver which is supposed to make the tea taste better...

~Cheryl

i need help likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

7. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Wow! Thank you, Cheryl! That is exactly it. I appreciate the help.

Juli

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted