Chinese old bowl no markings , man wanted it from me.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by billyd3us, Aug 24, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Today I was at my local thrift store, I seen this bowl for only 50 cents so I grabbed it.
    the inside looks like it has been used for many years, not very good quality painted but, according to a so so regular shopper there, a 80 + Korean man, was looking at it while I was walking around store, he approached me and asked if he could see it, I let him see it and he proceeded to tell me that it was a very nice bowl, before stamp marks where used. After he looked at it for about 3-4 minutes, he asked if he could buy it from me, I said I was keeping it. According to the Cashier at store, the man used to be a Monk, not sure if that has anything to do why he wanted it.
    Does anybody here have any ideas on it's age or name like rice bowl or something else.
    Did this man see something in it ?

Thank You

Billy D. 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know what that man saw, but I see a fairly standard Chinese made bowl made probably in the first half of the 20th c. I dunno. Others may have different opinions.

3. whatmamahad

whatmamahad Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Nice. As a resident of Honolulu, I've seen similar bowls in antiques and collecibles shops, thrift stores, at swap meets and garage sales.
    They were mass produced, in China, for tourists and export. Age : ca. 1940 to 1950.

lauragarnet and judy like this.
  4. billyd3us

Can you show me a photo of one like mine ?

5. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I do have one like yours but who knows where I've stored it. I'm sorry to say it but there is nothing special about it. Moreover, when I see such bowls in stores, even if dirty cheap, I just pass on them because resale value is minimal.

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. billyd3us

Really, try and find it because I can't find one with blue bottom and so much wear on the inside like mine. I have never seen any Chinese bowls from mid century with so much wear.

7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Mine does not have exactly the same colors but same shape and design. Different colors would make no difference.
    Wear is a relative term. Depends on how often the item was used, if used at all, as well as on the quality of the enamels, firing etc.
    You can have a 200 years old piece with almost no wear and a very recent one that looks beat up.
    Not sure how do you judge the wear on your bowl but if you are talking about the rubbing on the blue decoration, I think it is a result from poor quality.
    Even if the bowl is not mid century but a bit older it still would not make a lot of difference. The value of the Chinese ceramics depends on quality and rarity. Age also matters but you can have a Republic or even later piece that is rare or by a famous artist that is many times more valuable than a much older but common piece. Condition is also very important but in same cases chils and other damages are acceptable if the piece is desirable.
    If you still think that your bowl is sometimes more special the easiest way is just to list it on Ebay. Chinese buyers will know better.

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. whatmamahad

whatmamahad Well-Known Member

Hi billyd3us,
    I can stop by the local thrift store, Monday, and check if any are on the shelves.

9. billyd3us

Okay, cool.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've seen a few of these and I never look twice at them because I didn't think they were old. It's interesting to see one here.

11. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

The blue ground does seem hard to find pictures of.

Via Google Images - It links to Pinterest - Can't find original link. No pic of bottom, but the glaze is true blue (not turquoise blue). It looks like more care was taken painting the bowl pictured below, but it has the same general pattern as yours. Painted scallop design at top rim, interlocking red spiral or chain (?) design at the foot. Famille rose peony flower design.
    [​IMG]
    [..]Antique Chinese Famille Rose Enamel Porcelain Bowl w Blue Ground Early 1900's
    [​IMG]

Maybe it was nostalgia that attracted the old man to this bowl. A lot of collectors have the nostalgia bug. Things that their parents and grandparents had around the house and used everyday catch their attention.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  12. lauragarnet

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure, but I think the red flower is supposed to be a lotus bud.

13. lauragarnet

Here's another true blue. Simply described as 'vintage' famille rose. Again, more care was taken painting this bowl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Chinese Pottery Famille Rose Bowl
    EDIT: Looking at this bowl, I guess the red flowers are not lotus buds, but peony buds.

14. lauragarnet

Ha! Look here... these bowls seem to get a lot more appreciation if used as and called bonsai pots or bulb bowls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You need to scroll almost to the bottom of the page to see these two bowls. About 3/4ths of the way down.
    [..]Two lovely bulb bowls in a primitive rice bowl style with under glaze kiln dust and a
    bubble pop or two. Both examples are very pretty because they are hand painted.
    One is aqua green on both inside and outside rim, with butterflies and pattern on foot.
    The second bowl is aqua green on inside, with a rooster/floral/dragonfly pattern on the white exterior. Red swirl pattern on foot. Both are stamped China. This particular mark was required by the US import authorities from 1891 dating these bowls to circa 1900-1910

Each is 6" diameter, 1 1/2" deep.
    No damages, no cracks or chips/flakes.

£160 each or £320 for both including post
    -Now reduced to £200 for both including shipping

ANTIQUE BULB POTS
    http://www.bonsaiinformation.com/Bulbpots1.htm

15. billyd3us

wow, Thanks everyone for clarifying and showing photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted