Featured Chinese or japanese jewellery box?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Chris Mount, May 30, 2018.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Gidday all. Was hoping someone could tell me what origin and possible age this box is. Has few issues. Had not original hinges on it so searching for some new old ones and any suggestions to finding some appreciated.
    Is a little damaged some of the leaves are missing and I believe they are mother of pearl. The handles aren't original and look a little odd so trying to source some smaller ones as seen on the one door. Has anyone had any experience in repairing black lacquer antiques at all. 200mm x 180mm high. Chris 15276632550977.jpg 15276632120752.jpg 15276632121043.jpg 15276632550385.jpg 15276634808189.jpg 15276631846520.jpg 15277082871630.jpg

Attached Files:

2. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

It looks Chinese to me b/c of the bat. It definitely looks more Chinese than Japanese to me. That's all I have for you, that is a really sweet find there! ;)

Asian Fever and kyratango like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. The raised "inlay", or whatever it really is, and those bats indicate it's either Chinese or done in the Chinese style. Poor thing's a bit chewed up.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it is Chinese, and a little beauty. I would think ca 1860-1880.
    The overlay is often made of pieces of serpentine, bone and mother of pearl, but it looks like this one has lacquer on carved wood as well as serpentine. Am I right, Chris?

There are chinese bronze hinges on ebay and Etsy, here is the Etsy page:
    https://www.etsy.com/nl/search?q=chinese bronze hinge
    I don't know if you can get a better deal on ebay, they will only show me the price in rubles.:confused::eek:

I only have amateur knowledge of minor black lacquer repair on small items for myself, so I can't really advise you. Maybe @gregsglass knows?

5. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Thanks aj for a always. Actually the lines and small circles are very thin pieces of mother of pearl.
    I was looking at the leaves and trying to work out what they were I thought it was all mop but that makes perfect sense to be serpentine as well given colours.
    The original hinges were square probably detailed so may take a while to source but will keep looking.
    I plan to do a little work on it keep you posted. Thanks again

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Lovely find and it looks so much more substantial than the more modern versions. Such a shame about the damage but I look forward to seeing further posts of your restorations.

Draft saved Draft deleted