Featured Chinese or Japanese, Silver Cups w/saucers, Sake?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by laura9797, Jun 23, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Sorry these pictures aren't the best quality. My office is dark. Let me know if I need to try to get better shots of the marks. These rims around the cups have a meander decor and the bodies have perched bird and butterfly amidst foliage. The cups are approx. 1.32 in., fitted saucers have a diameter of 2.62 in.
    Trying to figure out if these are Chinese Export or Japanese? I found a similar pair that were Japanese sake cups but the mark was stamped 950. Any thoughts? Thank you! IMG_6263.jpg IMG_6264.jpg IMG_6265.jpg IMG_6266.jpg IMG_6267.jpg IMG_6268.jpg IMG_6269.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look Japanese to me, based on that lovely cherry blossom shape. I can't see the marks very well though.

judy, KSW, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Very much Japanese silver was .950, and may still be for quality pieces.

There's a lot of information in those many characters on the bottom of both pieces. If you could get a couple good, sharp close-up shots there, someone here might be able to tell the tale!

Thanks...

4. Any Jewelry

True, a beautiful fineness.

5. laura9797

Let's see if these are any better IMG_6272.jpg IMG_6270.jpg IMG_6271.jpg

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Perhaps, for better eyes than mine.

Yes, high probable for Sake...'tho I've never seen saucers under such vessels...Good Luck!

judy, laura9797 and KSW like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Pics too small for me to read, though I can make out 'silver' in the pics with the most script (it's upside down too).

judy, laura9797, KSW and 2 others like this.
  8. laura9797

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

In the first pic it says silver on the left column, possibly 幀畫 in the center which could be artwork or similar. Struggling with the left, but will look later when I have more time.

judy, Any Jewelry, laura9797 and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Wish I could help, but some days I wonder if I read English never mind Asian script.

12. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

It’s Chinese silver. The rightmost line says it’s from Tianjin, from a workshop called something Hua, probably Wu Hua. The centre line says Chen Guang, whatever that means. The leftmost line indicates its silver content

13. Any Jewelry

Thanks Ken, good to know.

Ken Yap and bercrystal like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Asian marks are difficult for me on a good day, and my eyes are blurry today - could this be your maker (based on Ken's translation)?

From Von Ferscht's 'Chinese Export Silver 1785-1940':

wu-hua-chinese-export-silver.jpg

~Cheryl

15. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Wow, how wonderful is this information! Well done. All the photos seems to point to the same shop, circled in green. The 2 characters circled in red at the top say Tianjin, while the uncircled ones say Beijing. Even though I am Chinese illiterate, “tien” (sky) is an easy character to recognise with its 2 horizontal strokes bisected by a curved inverted V

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Again the same shop circled in green, with Tien and Jin on either side of the top line. The 2 addresses below state that the main store is the Japanese one while the branch is the French one

Attached Files:

Happy!, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted