Chinese? Peach Tree Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Jan 23, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Very pretty Asian dish with a peach branch in the center. Very faded mark on bottom. Some small defects in the glaze. I assume it’s early to mid 20th. Earliest is late 19th c I assume. Guessing this doesn’t constitute famile rose since there’s not more pink but maybe it is? Anyone recognize mark or know for sure the era? Grabbed for $2 at thrift today C8338312-1FCB-499C-B04A-19682AD3A433.jpeg 07D38C3F-69B9-475B-BB7B-5CD6813108BF.jpeg D54E1977-0BA1-42BC-9FB7-FD671FDB8F2E.jpeg A4848FC5-16F6-4CB9-9494-257744CDF663.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Very new restaurant ware

3. J Dagger

Thanks! Thought it was newer then I changed my mind and thought it was a little bit older. Shoulda gone with the first thought. Pretty either way.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And because it has nothing in common with Famille Rose?;)

5. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Persimmons rather than peaches?

6. J Dagger

Well that’s what I would have thought but I see pieces that in my mind I would never think of as being famile rose being called such. I finally looked up a standard definition somewhere saw that it’s just pieces from China containing lots of pink. I definitely know the common famile rose pattern(s) but I saw so much listed that was outside of that, that it made me wonder if what I thought it was it wasn’t. How do you define it?

7. J Dagger

Perhaps yes!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In the traditional way.;) A modern oven dish is not traditional.

To me a peach or salmon colour is not Famille Rose pink, so that in itself rules Famille Rose out. But in the end Famille Rose is a Western term, not Chinese.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted