Chinese Pewter with Jade and Carnelian Inlay

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Atlantisblue1, May 10, 2018.

1. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquerfs Atlantisblue!

Someone will be along to help you.

3. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

Thank you! I’m anxious for conversation regarding the piece. I’ve translated the markings I just don’t know if it’s authentic or a piece made in the 19/20th century.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

Translation from bottom of the box reads ‘Great Qing Qianlong Period Make’ with the usual double ring border, further signaling a dynasty mark. I just can’t ascertain if it’s an authentic time peice or reproduction from the 19th or 20th Century.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Atlantisblue.
    As you already suggested, most Qianlong marks are not of the period.
    Could we see more pictures? Right now I am looking at a very nice top and a base but have no idea what it actually looks like.

judy and Atlantisblue1 like this.
  6. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

See below pictures

7. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

8. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Do you think such a pewter box with Qianlong reign mark is made before republic period?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Before we estimate age, we need to know exactly whether there're jade and carnelian? Most replicas use glass or plastic.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

If there is one thing I can identify, it would be glass/plastic/rock. The stones are definitely, real, possessing natural inclusions and markings that further show their authenticity.

judy likes this.
  10. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

As far as it being an authentic time peice from the Qing Dynasty era, that I do not know. More than likely it is not, but there are still many questions. Like, why did the artist put so much detail on the bottom of the piece? What is the items original purpose. Were the items made for the people’s use “worth” more than those items made for export? Is it possible that the design of the item predates 1900s even 1800s? Or did this design appear after the 1900s

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

The box has been in my family longer than I have been alive and I’m 36yrs of age. Thus I know without a doubt it’s at least that old. My great grandparents traveled the world and purchased many items overseas and shipped them back home. So I also know the box was never meant for export, thus it does not have any China” stamp anywhere on the item.

judy likes this.
  12. Asian Fever

So if they are stones, it was likely made in the early PRC as export bronze ware for earning foreign exchange

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

I thought only items meant for export have a “China” stamp or something like this. The item in question does not have any such stamp.

judy likes this.
  14. Asian Fever

No not really. Export ware is just a saying ,everything which can be sold at a good price and be popular in the foreign market can be taken as export ware. Sometimes they are not made particular for export.

15. Any Jewelry

Value depends on the quality and availability of a piece, and the market at the time.
    Chinese Export Jewellery and Chinese Export Silver, for instance, are highly collectible. The terms apply to pieces from a certain period only.
    I think there would certainly be interest in your lovely box.

Atlantisblue1, Asian Fever and judy like this.
  16. Asian Fever

I got a few chinese export silverwares from england last month....
    However, my friend told me good russian silverwares are higher price and more collectible.

Now, my brain is filled with silver... silver... silver.....

17. Any Jewelry

Lovely! Both Chinese Export and Russian depend on the maker, of course. And there is a lot of fake 'antique' Russian silver, mostly made in the 1970s.
    What is the melting value?:hilarious: Sorry, couldn't help myself.:sorry::bag:

judy likes this.
  18. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

Through extensive online research I have yet to find any other piece exactly like this pewter box, except for two pieces that are not stamped and seem to look more like each other than my larger box/dish and they both almost seem to replicas of my peice . See comparison below:

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they do indeed have a similar look and feel...

20. Atlantisblue1

Atlantisblue1 New Member

They really do. When looking at all three, my larger pewter box looks more authentic an older than the smaller boxes. One of the smaller boxes has what appears to be amethyst, which is why believe that it’s a replica. My box however only features jade, carnelian, and agates.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted