Featured CHINESE PLANTER/FISH BOWL CARVED INSIDE ANOTHER?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 10, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store & was first attracted to it by it's bright happy colors. But when I got close I saw it had a carved planter? outside of a inner one!
    I've seen this with a smaller elephant figure that had a marble/ball inside it, but nothing like this!
    AND, speaking of the marble/ball inside the lattice like carved elephant - this piece has 4-5 (more than 1) marbles/balls inside the rim!! They roll around inside the rim whenever you move the planter!
    What are they for?? Once you've filled it - with dirt & a plant or water & fish - it's not going to be moved and the balls will just sit?
    Are they put in there for luck?
    Can anyone tell me what this is? (I tried to google it but didn't know what to call it/describe it!).
    Finally, does the plaque under the rim say or mean anything? The artist's name?
    I appreciate any help!
    POTTERY CHINESE PLANTER FISH BOWL 1A__A.JPG POTTERY CHINESE PLANTER FISH BOWL 1A_A Z.JPG POTTERY CHINESE PLANTER FISH BOWL 1AAZ.JPG POTTERY CHINESE PLANTER FISH BOWL 1AAA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE PLANTER FISH BOWL 3AA_AZ.JPG POTTERY CHINESE PLANTER FISH BOWL 4AAzz.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh wow ! Not what I was expecting at all ! Gorgeous ! I think it might be newish,but I bet it was expensive nonetheless. I cant imagine what the balls are for. What an interesting piece.

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

For cats to play with instead of the fish?

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How big is it?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. journeymagazine

11" H x 13" W

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, in spite of the garish colours. The balls are a fun gimmick to show the craft of the potter.
    I agree with Johnny, not much age. But a statement.
    This kind of ware is called reticulated, like a net. It features the usual celestial dragon and phoenix theme, for balance, Yin and Yang, and in former times emperor and empress.
    The colour scheme is typical for the southern Chinese coast, notably Guangdong/Canton. It could have been made for the Straits Chinese or Peranakan market, but Peranakan are to be found all over the world. There are even some on this forum.;)
    It is a fish bowl, but I hope the fish are colour blind. That gorgeous dragon on the outside would suggest it is also fit for baby dragons.:joyful:

Did you check Gotheborg for the seal mark?
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml
    Here is another site for 20th century marks:
    https://watersilkdragon.wordpress.c...nese-porcelain-compilation-qing-republic-prc/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  7. journeymagazine

I will check - I knew you would know something about it Any jewelry!
    Thank you

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Just looked; it has nothing on the bottom - but what is the mark/logo in 4th pic; is that it?

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

That is it.:)

10. journeymagazine

Can you tell what is says/is?

11. Any Jewelry

Only if I take a course in Chinese first.:D
    It looks like a manufacturers mark.

judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Looks like the six character Da Qing Daoguang Nian Zhi - "Daoguang Period Make" mark. c.1990, not sure it's an exact match though.
    480.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Thank you! It really is newer!

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  14. anundverkaufen

It’s still a nice thing, much better than any newer Chinese fish bowls I’ve seen.

judy and i need help like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I saw that one too, but the central part looks different to me.

judy, i need help and anundverkaufen like this.
  16. journeymagazine

So would I call it a Chinese reticulated fish bowl/planter in a listing title?

Any Jewelry and anundverkaufen like this.
  17. anundverkaufen

“Double walled” reticulated.

18. journeymagazine

That's a good name - thanks!

judy likes this.
  19. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Da Qing Dao Guang would be (if a real piece) 1821-1850. Keep in mind though that modern copies of everything are made these days. Also, historically, there have always been copies made of earlier pieces throughout the years, ex., a Ming Dynasty piece copied during the Qing Dynasty, would still qualify as an antique, just not original Ming, etc. When it comes to dating even the pros disagree. I have had a Chinese piece dated about 400 years apart by experts from Christie's and Sotheby's... The fish bowl however is a modern piece, and the "seal" is just evocative probably of an original similar piece that inspired this copy. (In my opinion the craftsmanship is not remarkable.)

komokwa, i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted