Featured Chinese porcelain flask

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jun 20, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

My latest buy is this very large porcelain bottle. It is about 36 cm tall including the stopper.

Seller says it was brought back from China in late 19th c and I believe him but I have been unable to find another like it apart from a pair of similar flasks in a Swedish museum (See link).

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wik...00-tal,_Iran_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_100903.tif

These are stated to be Iranian c1700-1800.

Any thoughts?

Very well painted. Lid re-glued and a very poor fit.

7D69286D-D801-4A01-A9D8-2363EBE03D56.jpeg E968E2AB-5E0A-45F4-9696-E0664FBC04B3.jpeg

lovewrens, Aquitaine, komokwa and 8 others like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Wow that is lovely! Have you googled Chinese porcelain blue and white water bottle with lid?

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. John Brassey

Yes but didn’t find one like this.

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Iranian museum examples.

Debora

Ett_par_flaskor,_1700-1800-tal,_Iran_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_100903.jpg

DizzyDaff, komokwa, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  5. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

An impressive piece, John. I guess it’s late Qing dynasty but I’m not sure. Anyway, I think the decoration is known as the sweet pea pattern.

P.S. is that a double footring? Although I don’t think it’s Kangxi, I think a double footring is sometimes seen on Kangxi pieces.

Aquitaine and John Brassey like this.
  6. John Brassey

Thanks MT . I've been trying to find the name of the pattern. That's a big help.

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever seen Iranian vessels like this. Thank you for sharing these!

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. John Brassey

To be honest. I’m not sure that the museum attribution is correct. They certainly look Chinese rather than Iranian but I’m not going to argue with a museum.

JayBee likes this.
  9. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

As you know, The Chinese traded via the Silk Road. Often, the design of and on the porcelain depended on the export destination. Museums all over the world display antique Chinese porcelains that were exported to their countries. However, having said that, many pieces fit in no matter the country they were exported to and are displayed in many national museums IMO the pieces in the Iranian museum reflect this. Sorry about being so verbose.

10. John Brassey

11. John Brassey

The pieces in the photos are in a Swedish museum not an Iranian one. They are labelled as Iranian but, like you , I doubt it.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted