chinese porcelain vase/jar age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Mar 28, 2022.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi folks this was something i found today, cant decide if its old or not

7 inches including wooden parts

dont know if they are original to the piece or made after but they fit perfectly

any idea on type of birds ?

looks older inside, than out

any thoughts appreciated

jar25.JPG jar1.JPG jar5.JPG jar22.JPG jar6.JPG IMG_9823.JPG jar8.JPG jar9.JPG jar21.JPG

komokwa and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Birds are cranes. Tricky one, it wants to be Kangxi, but the hesitancy of the drawing, lack of colour depth and foot look more 19th century to me. Also wondering if it is a Japanese example as the foot doesn't look very Chinese to my eye.

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think old Japanese. Arita ware? Top probably made or found to fit, to replace a broken one. Base is more generic and newer. Base may be Chinese.

4. charlie cheswick

thanks for the info guys, thats a great help. thought it didnt look 19thc, but not modern either. i had to lighten the first pics, this is how it looks in natural light

crane1.JPG crane3.JPG crane2.JPG

5. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It does have all the characteristics of being Japanese. The Cranes etc and the waves of course, and the design. Make sure it is handpainted and not transfer printed ....

Nabeshima

I would guess this might be Imari Nabeshima Ware / Hizen and many of these are 17th - 18th century, but there is also Koransha - fukugawa and they continue to make very artisic porcelain into the 20th century.

Maybe check this collection from Christies to get an idea.

https://www.christies.com/search?entry=Nabeshima&page=1&tab=sold_lots

Koransha - fukugawa

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kor...5AuUQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1245&bih=647&dpr=1.35

charlie cheswick likes this.
  6. charlie cheswick

That's great info thanks francisco

I get the feeling it's not 20th century at all, but could be wrong

What's your gut reaction, modern or earlier ?

I bought it thinking it was earlier than 19th, but saying that was only £10

7. charlie cheswick

Like brad said, I think the top piece was made to fit the jar,after. and its a lovely piece of hand carved wood

Also very much so hand painted

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted