Chinese Portraits: Age and Value?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Luke89, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Luke89

Luke89 New Member

Hi Antiquers,

I got this stunning Chinese portraits at the art markets in Amsterdam and I am very curious to know who the artist is, and what year the works we're wade, and how much they are potentially worth?

I think the woman in portrait one is Wu Xetian, and the other I have no clue. Qing dynasty?

The material feels like some sort of screen that has very beautiful watercolour or ink applied to it. Maybe it's silk, I can't tell, the details are exquisite. The painting is also mounted on a patterned/textured background. You can also see this by zooming in on the picture.

The frame is made out of a strong wood that and has four brass things on each side that are I assume decorative, but also give the frame strength (see attachment with pink arrows pointing to what I'm referring to).

Thanks in advance for helping me identify these beautiful works of art. So happy with this find at the markets :)

Attached Files:

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

My best guess is reproductions of originals works. Cant help on signature. Someone else will know the signature.

Luke89 likes this.
  3. Luke89

Luke89 New Member

Thank you for helping me on my quest for answers :)

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

410F4259-12D8-4F08-9029-423F66DBA122.jpeg 48F0D088-28D5-4C6C-B601-031CFB86A900.jpeg F29AAA20-1991-4DF0-B406-98D04DC5E23E.jpeg 8A874CD9-33B4-4130-8632-C78BEEB0119A.jpeg

I “Biggened ‘em” Check Full Image, in the Future. :)

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This isn't helpful, but. I love your chair!

judy, i need help and Luke89 like this.
  6. Luke89

Luke89 New Member

Thanks man!

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours are typically referred to as Chinese "ancestor portraits." (An internet image search will bring up other examples.) Can't help you re dating but can tell you that they were very popular decorative items in the 1960s.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think they compliment your wall well.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've always thought that, because of their scale, they had a lot of decorative impact.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted