Featured Chinese red coral Good Luck "talisman"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Howard Alward, May 5, 2019.

1. Howard Alward

Howard Alward Member

My late wife inherited this from her mother. It has a Certificate of Authenticity completed and signed by Sir Robert F. Marx. It was found at the wreck site of the Flor do Mar by Marx. It is dated no-later than 1480 - 1500 AD. It has a small diameter hole through its center running from top to bottom. Trying to get an approximate worth.

[​IMG]

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Howard. Others with more knowledge will get here, but it just looks wrong to me. It would help us if you would post additional photos taken of other sides, including at least one of the drill hole. (Compliments on this photo.)

I have to question whether the COA itself is authentic. Don't know what the governing law would have been in 1991 concerning Marx's rights to treasure found in the Flor do Mar wreck.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Howard.

In spite of rumours there is no evidence the Flor do Mar was ever located. Apparently they only know in which general area the wreck could be, and Portugal, Indonesia and Malaysia are still in a dispute over salvage rights should it ever be found.

Your bead does not look like antique coral to me. It looks like a post-1980 bead.
    There was much controversy over Marx's methods and claims.
    He was not a sir, btw, which is a British title. Apparently he was awarded something in the Spanish order of Isabella. I don't know exactly which one because the 'titles' I found have nothing to do with the actual titles of the order of Isabella.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. Bronwen

Nor does it look like it was in saltwater for nearly 500 years. Even if in some kind of container, doubt anyplace would have escaped the seawater.

5. Any Jewelry

It looks like it was dyed too.

6. Bronwen

Yes, and liberally. It's really a shame such things get on the market. I imagine @Howard Alward 's mother in law would have bought the piece before you could readily get info on the Internet the way we did.

7. Any Jewelry

Frankly, I have my doubts this is even natural coral. Maybe dyed reconstituted, but resin is a definite possibility.

8. Howard Alward

Howard Alward Member

Well, yes, I'm aware of Robert's notoriety. He was a local around these parts. Here's some more pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Any Jewelry

There seems to be a whitish spot near the bottom beadhole. It could be heavily dyed bamboo coral, so after 1980.
    Or resin with a whitish spot.

10. Howard Alward

Howard Alward Member

The mother-in-law probably got in an auction at a local fund raiser.

11. Bronwen

Great pix but do not make a case for 500 year old coral & may support AJ's suggestion of resin.

At least then the money went to a good cause.

12. Howard Alward

Howard Alward Member

To elaborate, , , , this item was acquired at a fund raiser for the Florida Institute of Technology here in Melbourne. The item was personally donated by Marx. I doubt that Marx would have taken such "liberties" at an institution that he supported. But, your guess is as good as mine in that regard. Now, and otherwise, yes, perhaps "dyed" coral but, perhaps not resin; the color would generally be very homogenous if resin (in my experience, I pigment and use poly and epoxy resins every day).

KSW, scoutshouse, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I cannot contribute to this discussion, just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum, Howard! :)

KSW, scoutshouse, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  14. Bronwen

Even if the wreck was found, if rights to cargo are in a 3-way dispute, I really have to question whether Marx would have yet been given a finder's share, unless all 3 agreed on how much & what he could take.

15. Howard Alward

Howard Alward Member

He dove on the "site" in 1990 and 1991.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It has a Certificate of Authenticity completed and signed by Sir Robert F. Marx.

I think we'd like to see that !

17. Any Jewelry

Are you sure?

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

19. Howard Alward

Howard Alward Member

20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

For me, no matter what is written on the COA...:muted:
    This artifact has nothing to be a 500 years old coral :banghead:
    Time to try some physical tests...;)

Welcome to Antiquers, Howard Alward :)

KSW, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted