Featured CHINESE REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS PAINTINGS

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 11, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these beautiful reverse painted on glass paintings at a local thrift store yesterday - the actual painted glass measure 26" x 17.5"
    I can't find a signature on either one.
    Also they have a sticker that says Made in People's republic of China
    What time are these from (the frames look old)?
    Are they just factory art since they don't have signatures?
    Any info would be appreciated.

ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 1AAAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 2AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 3AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 4AAZZ.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 5AAZZ 2ND PAINTING.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 7AAZZ 2ND PAINTING.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 8AAZZ 2ND PAINTING.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 9AA 2ND PAINTING.JPG

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

wouldn't that mark only date them back to 1949 and not older? Lovely!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, journey.
    It would. These are an old favourite and are still being made. The themes are copied from traditional ones, so no siggy

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

And I will say that the mortise type of construction in the frames are typical of 20th century frames - you rarely see a piece of Chinese furniture with screws or nails. If we had ever had any Chinese furniture with either, we knew it was poorly made or 're-purposed'.

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Love the cat!

i need help likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

(deleted because it really wasn't important)

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks all. One unusual thing I notices - on mine there are 2 tabs(?) on backs that slide into small slits yn frame, with the rest of the back closing with the traditional pegs you push into the frame to keep it in place.
    has anyone see the backing with the top (or bottom) having 2 tabe & the rest being the push in pieces?

ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 9BAA 2ND PAINTING.JPG ART PAINTING REVERSE PAINTED ON GLASS ORIENTAL 9CAA 2ND PAINTING.JPG

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFUL !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hey the sticker did told us,it said 华人 instead 華人 it mean chinese people in simplified chinese,the simplified chinese only use after PRC was founded in 1949,so i voted for 1950s,anyway it's beautiful pieces,good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted