Chinese? Sang De Boeuf Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

First I thought that it could be a vase turned into lamp but when I opened it, turned that is was made to be a lamp.
    I don't understand why all the chips on the foot. The copper red glaze tends to run and sometimes the base would stick to the kiln shelf or support and it had to be knocked off. But that would be during Late Qing and Republic. And this lamp could not be that old as I think Chinese never made such electric lamps, did they?
    During early Qing the control of the glaze was almost perfect. The newer pieces are also controlled better. If this was a commercial product it should not have such an ugly base. And why all the staining on the inside?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The Chinese did not make lamps. Manufacturers bought decorated blanks and turned them into lamps. Who ever made the bodies just "knocked" them off the kiln shelves and did not use stilts. I really love the finial.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Could be made in Southeast Asia or so.
    I like the finial too. Wonder if that is cinnabar lacquer.

Draft saved Draft deleted