Featured Chinese screens

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Castelli, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Castelli

Castelli Active Member

I wonder if anyone can give more info on these 2 please? I personally think they are more recent, but they are beautiful. The second one is inlaid with mother of pearl. Thank you.

chinese screen.jpg chinese screen det.jpg chinese screen 2.jpg

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Gorgeous screens! The second one is adorable!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are beautiful, and I agree, not very old, but very nice quality. The carved one looks Chinese, the mother of pearl inlay one is Vietnamese.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If the carved one is new, then I would guess that it is very high quality. You don't see that kind of detail on newer items. Especially so large.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  5. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@clutteredcloset49 - You're right - the finish carving is well done. Most of the import stuff is done with 4 axis multiple carving machines (generally 24 spindle machines) - just as in furniture factories - and then finish-carved afterwards. It's the quality of the final work that makes or breaks it:

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@shallow_ocean_spectre
    So machines go in a rough shape the basic outlines, then peoples sit and hand carve the faces and details to the trees, shingles etc?
    That's still a lot of work. Hard to see but appears the faces and hair are well detailed.
    upload_2019-11-23_8-37-18.png

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. John steward

John steward Member

Hello, Castillo
    The inlay screen has slot head screws from what I can see they stop using in early 1970 the carved piece I can not see
    The henges to see how they were put to gather the best way
    To see if it hand made or machine made is to run your hand
    Over the piece if it all feels flat it machine made. They had machine making furniture and panel like your scents the mid,
    19th century. You have to look to see how it put to gather
    to determine when it made. To me the wood carvings piece
    Need a closer look at. It look to be in a store what does the dealer have to say. John

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

We need to determine the material before the age because the rare material is more important to chinese furniture.

9. Castelli

Castelli Active Member

Thank you for your help, you are right, they are in a second hand shop and were expensive. I really like the carved one, it looks impressive. However, I do not think anyone in the shop can help me with any questions like type of wood, etc.
    I know this is an almost impossible question to answer, but would anyone know what is a reasonable price to pay for each screen?

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The wood for Vietnamese inlay is generally called rosewood, which is a pretty generic name of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted