Featured Chinese Snuff Bottle - Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by NewEngland, Aug 8, 2018.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I bought this cute little snuff container at a church sale and listed it on ebay. "Vintage Hand Carved Bone Chinese Snuff Container with Thumb Ring" was the title. I never described it as made of ivory. This morning, I received an email from ebay saying they removed the listing because of their ivory policy. There are lots of carved bone snuff bottles currently listed on ebay. I wonder why they chose my listing to remove? Do you think this is made of ivory? I assumed it was a reproduction souvenir item. Maybe I should have posted the pictures here before listing on ebay! Thanks for your ideas.

snuffbottle2.JPG snuffbottle1.JPG

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does not look ivory to me.

Either someone reported you. Or ebay is banning "bone" as they finally figured out it is a moniker for ivory.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is definitely bone, with what looks like a horn ring around the neck of the bottle. A very nice one of its kind.
    As far as I know these are only made in bone. On an ivory bottle the ring on the neck would have been made of precious material.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

someone thought it was ivory and reported you.................

now a days...just the suggestion that someone is in violation of something.......
    # accusationsFLY

5. NewEngland

Thank you! Is it old or a newer repro? By the way, while handling it, the little rope came undone and now the ring is no longer attached. It’s so small that I doubt I can re-tie it.

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

It looks old to me, but there are those on this board with far more expertise than me in these items.
    That being said, the cording used in your item is probably available in fabric/drapery shops. I don't think it would diminish the value to a great extent if you replaced the cord.

7. Any Jewelry

It is 20th century. It was never used, but made as a pretty gift, souvenir, or for export.

8. Any Jewelry

You can probably find a similar cord and tie that in the same way. Make sure you get a long enough piece and cut off the excess.:)

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The bottle is 3 pieces glued together and the finish isn't done well.If it were carved from one piece it would be much better.

10. Any Jewelry

That is the way these are always made. It is just a pretty memento, not a valuable collectible.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and NewEngland like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And I wouldn't try relisting or bothering to complain. They're too stupid to pull real reported ivory but will yank this again and possibly suspend you. They only pull things if it's a small seller; big sellers skate.

12. NewEngland

I agree. I’m not going to try again on Ebay. I listed it on etsy and hope I don’t have the same problem. I have had one item removed from etsy (a salt and pepper “Salty” and “Peppy” that looked like Aunt Jemima). Strange, because there are lots of others like that on etsy, but some ‘nosy nellie’ must have complained.

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

If I have trouble re-tieing something, it sometimes is helpful to work it with a pair of tweezers.

Any Jewelry and NewEngland like this.
  14. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

I have had numerous items removed from eBay, after I had CHECKED and seen that there were many of the same item listed... and there CONTINUED to be more, even after mine was removed.
    I recently had a Nikon 35mm film camera removed from eBay. I had tested all the functions I could, short of shooting film through it, so my title said, "...All Functions Tested,Not Film". Well, be aware that "NOT" is a dirty work in an eBay title! They consider it "keyword spamming," and I guess the e-Bots don't recognize that there could be a legitimate use for it.
    I have learned in life that, no matter what else is going on, "rules are for ME!"

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Other people can use NOT in their titles, but you can't. That's the rule. The bots won't pull other people's listings but will yank yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted