Featured Chinese Souvenir Cane

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Jul 6, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Chinese souvenir cane, 35"L. I found a thread from Jan/18 for a walking stick, looks to be the same wood and almost the same Chinese characters as mine, so probably the same age range. Mine also have notches carved into it. Is this rattan? any idea on what the notches are for?
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/any-age-to-walking-stick.23865/#post-320270
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSCF1985.jpg DSCF1989.jpg DSCF1994.jpg DSCF1995.jpg DSCF1991.jpg DSCF1992.jpg DSCF1993.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It think this cane could be from the same region as the other one. It also looks like wood carved with nodules to make it look like rattan. The notches would indicate where the leaves on real rattan would be attached, like on the bottom cane on this photo:
    upload_2018-7-7_11-26-20.jpeg
    The leaves of the wood used to make your cane were attached to twigs, you can see the dark nodules where the twigs used to be.
    The photo shows that rattan has no wood grain, but straight, vertical lines, like reed.

3. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Cute
    To be honest, it is pretty hard to buy these kind of crutches nowadays when you go to West Lake.

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you AJ:inpain: so not Rattan but some unknown wood.
    Thank-you Asian Fever:) Hard to buy because they no longer produce them?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ahh.:(:sorry: But it is handcarved, much more work than rattan.:) With rattan all you have to do is steam the top and bend it.:yawn::playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted