Chinese Stone Disk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 22, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I have this for some time and I thought I posted before but can't find the topic.
    I am thinking recent decorative piece but want to check other opinions. The stone is hard but not as hard as jade. About 7" in diameter.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hunter-Phillips

Hunter-Phillips New Member

Hey! Yes, you are right about the disk being a modern "decorative piece". It is loosely modeled on the Chinese "bi". Bi's were first produced/used as far back as the neolithic period, but were still made by artisans as part of a general fascination with archaic jade pieces that continued through the Qing dynasty (the last dynasty in China) till the early 20th century. Bi's always had a hole in the center, but many had somewhat similar decoration as you find on the front of this disk. The back of your disk has some characters that looks like Chinese "seal script" (one of the types of calligraphy they use, and the oldest dating back to B.C. times)...or it could be made up shapes, I'm not positive.

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I know about the Bi discs and the lack of a hole in the middle is one of the reasonas I am suspicious about the age. I have not find anything similar yet but Chinese did all kind of carvings, ritual or not.
    One of the clues about the age could be the way the cuts are done here but I can't tell if modern or ancient tools were used.
    The script as you said could be anceint/ancient based or just made up.

Draft saved Draft deleted