Featured Chinese Swatow Bowl??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Silver Wolf, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hello guys,so this is one of my new items that i got.i love the pattern,i notice the pattern is swatow / shantou pattern of ming dynasty,but the base didn't resemble it.i think about later period maybe qing dynasty?so,what do you think?thank you

swatow 1.jpg swatow 2.jpg swatow 3.jpg swatow 4.jpg swatow 5.jpg swatow 6.jpg swatow 7.jpg swatow 8.jpg swatow 9.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

blooey, i need help and judy like this.
  3. Silver Wolf

yes i thought so.this is not ming but maybe late qing maybe?what about possibility of being modern repro?

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Silver Wolf

5. Any Jewelry

I don't think so. It looks old to me.
    I don't think so.:bag:
    The style of yours is more simple but also bolder in its decoration, and the white is whiter.

6. Any Jewelry

Just to explain, the specific shade of white is often a clue in Chinese porcelain. Whether it has a slight yellow tinge, blue, green, or grey can help in identifying the origin or period. Of course it is very difficult to determine from a photo what kind of white it actually is.

judy and Silver Wolf like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Agreed, had a quick look and it does seem like a keeper - thanks for posting!

I have a piece of Ming stuff, a 12" Wanli era deep dish.. not sure if it falls under the Swatow umbrella - maybe it does? - BTW sold to me as Delft :smuggrin: :smuggrin: (which I knew for sure it wasn't!)
    Wanli_charger.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry and Silver Wolf like this.
  8. Silver Wolf

do you have it's back photo blooey?usually "swatow" base have kind of dirt/grain on its' base:angelic::angelic:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Silver Wolf

do anyone here know how to use microscope to check the chinese ceramics?:( i really got into this stuff lately,i want to learn more,this drive me crazy:eggface::eggface:

judy likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes here's the reverse and indeed it is pretty gritty:smuggrin:

And before somebody advises me to remove the hangers yes I know thanks
    Wanli_back.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry and Silver Wolf like this.
  11. Silver Wolf

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Silver Wolf

i think it could be late ming or early qing maybe :angelic:

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

My piece may not be Swatow then, but it is DEFINITELY Ming, Wanli Period (1572 to 1620)

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    judy, Silver Wolf and blooey like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I agree, not Swatow, and late Ming.
    It is export ware, could have been made in Jingdezhen. It looks like Kraak ware, but simpler than most Kraak ware. Kraak ware looks like provincial ware, which is why it is reminiscent of Swatow.
    Jingdezhen porcelain for the home market was more sophisticated, but Kraak was for those Barbarians in the West anyway, so why bother.;)

Kraak is the old Dutch word for the European ships that transported the cargo from Asia to the Netherlands. From there it was sold to other parts of Europe as Kraak ware.

The decoration on the rim is clearly Persian influenced. You see that on a lot of Chinese porcelain. China imported blue and white ceramics from Persia/Iran before they manufactured it themselves, first copying Persian ware.

Best leave the wires on for now. It seems it has already received some knocks to the rim. But an attractive piece nonetheless.

16. Silver Wolf

yes,the pattern looks like somewhere persian or middleeast,it always fascinating to thinking about what have been this item through till today:angelic::angelic: btw,i'm still curious about the bowl aj,:hilarious:

judy likes this.
  17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Definitively Wanli. It has one particular characteristic that only occurs in Wanli productions, "dry edge". Now you know!

UncleChuckTX, judy and Silver Wolf like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

So am I.:joyful: Sorry, nothing more to add for now, but if I come across something similar I will let you know. It is pretty, made pretty close to China, and it is pretty old, that is pretty much as much as I can tell you.:confused::sorry:

19. Any Jewelry

I probably know that phenomenon by a Dutch name, so could you explain, so I can delve into my memory bank? Or memory blank, the way things have been lately.:banghead:

20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The phenomenon of incomplete vitrification at the edges of Wanli porcelains.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Silver Wolf likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted