Chinese teapot and 6 cups. Newish - but can anyone read the marks?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Jul 11, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found this today for a whopping $5. It had to be worth more than that, but whodunnit is a good question. The mark on the cups is different from what's on the bottom of the pot, and the lid has two smaller marks. The handle has another one. That indicated it might be something good even if it's not old. Who'd mark cheap junk in four places? I couldn't get a good shot of the smallest mark, but this ought to be enough to start with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. evelyb30

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are blurrier.

3. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

No expert here but look around at "yixing" ware. Also, did you look for your marks at gotheborg.com? I think it would be Chinese.

Good luck!

Juli

4. evelyb30

Chinese for sure. I don't see the mark but it's definitely Yixing style.

5. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I don't know how much yours is worth, but yes, even the cheap ones are marked in two or three places. I've bought several with three marks on them (handle, lid, base) that I could only get $7 for.

6. evelyb30

Oh well. I paid $5 for the whole set including six cups.

7. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

The mark in the square does say zhongguo yixing (China Yixing). But there is so much new Yixing ware, I don't think that it being Yixing is any guarantee it's worth more than a nice teapot with cups. I'm sorry I can't help with the other marks in archaic script.

8. evelyb30

Thanks. That's more than I can read. I can manage things marked with the Latin alphabet, and some things even in Hebrew or Cyrillic. Chinese not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted