Featured Chinese Tiles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 19, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

These two tiles had felt on the bases but I removed the felt to look for a mark.

IMG_3354.jpeg IMG_3345.jpeg I think they date to around the 1920-1940 period. The mark is clear and reads Swatow Pangkoi Gou Kim Hall Manufactured by followed by a seal.

I thought it would be straightforward to find lots of tiles with this mark but I’ve drawn a complete blank.

Has anyone seen others?

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

There's a similar one on Etsy (unfortunately). It has a very similar mark that is a little more clear than the one on your tile (in reality, may not even be close):

tile01.png tile02.png

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'll do one of these, too:

tileMark.png

4. John Brassey

Thanks. I saw that. It’s a similar mark but not the same one.

sabre123 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Ooh. Those could be quite valuable! Genuinely old Chinese things with calligraphy on them do very well. Even early 20th century things. I’ve seen framed tiles/plaques go for big money. Maybe try searching plaque or screen instead of tile? They may have been framed originally.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  7. John Brassey

Apologies. Yes the seal looks the same but the writing above is different. Mine probably an earlier mark from the same maker. Thanks.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted