Chinese trinket box/ink box- Qianlong?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GSTreasures, Jan 13, 2020.

1. GSTreasures

GSTreasures New Member

I have been researching this pottery mark and seems like it is Qianlong. Any tips on how to check if genuine or fake and/or confirmation from anyone who knows about chinese pottery? Also, what would this little box's original use would have been i.e trinket, vanity, ink?
    Thank you! Screenshot_20200113-222750_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200113-222819_Gallery.jpg

dude and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a cute 20th century trinket box, with no specific use. It does not date from the reign of Qianlong.

The Chinese often mark porcelain with marks of important emperors of the past, as a tribute. Since emperor Qianlong was an important patron of the arts, and beautiful art was made during his reign, his mark is the absolute favourite.

3. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

That's a box used for stamp/chop paste that painters and calligraphers apply to their art.

Kathy Anderson and komokwa like this.
  4. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Exactly; have one myself full of pasty ink.

Draft saved Draft deleted