Chinese very old large blue and white dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by manny, Aug 24, 2019.

1. manny

manny Active Member

Hi everyone is this plate ming or Kangxi? IMG_4641 (2).JPG IMG_4648 (2).JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Neither. Most likely European, either Dutch or English. Looks like an early version of the India Tree pattern.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  3. manny

manny Active Member

Hi thank you for your opinion but I'm 100% sure it's Chinese also I'm 100% sure it's very old when this plate was made the dutch and the English didn't even know how to make porcelain. thank you anyway.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I doubt Ming, but maybe 19th c. Bit odd that there are no Chinese characters on the base.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. manny

manny Active Member

Hi yes you are right I guess it can't be Ming as the shape is different but it could be Kangxi as I used to have a period Kangxi plate with the same shape but smaller

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

This is typical 18th c Chinese export porcelain, in my opinion this dish is rather Qianlong (1736-95) than Kangxi. It is totally normal for export porcelain to have no Chinese characters on the bottom.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thank you for your experienced opinion, Mat. I'm glad to stand corrected.

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

And me, thanks for the correction. I usually refrain from commenting on Chinese pieces because I know so little. I did think possibly 18th c, but then erred on the side of caution! I knew it wasn’t Ming, though! :oops:

9. willy

willy New Member

Definitely Qainlong.

Janice Nicholls likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted