Chinese white metal picture frame with dragons

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ALittleBit, Nov 11, 2018.

1. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

I picked this frame up at auction. I'm assuming it is Chinese [dragons]? and possibly old but that's as far as I'm prepared to commit. Apparently that trailing Frame 1.jpg Frame 2.jpg Frame 3.jpg Frame 4.jpg whisker [?] on the dragon at the top corner is intentional and of interest but I can't remember why. Size is 25cm x 18 cm. The red label on the reverse says that someone had whatever was in it framed up in Port Elizabeth [South Africa?]. It's the ad for the framer. No other marks at all that I can find. It probably isn't silver but it would be nice. I hope there are enough photos. I used a couple of different filters to highlight the detail. The softer light ones are closest to the actual patina.
    Any thoughts welcome.

2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Is that a 3 claw dragon? May be Japanese.
    Patd

i need help and judy like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember having a frame very similar to yours. It was Japanese. It was made between 1920 and 1930. I sold it for 30 dollars back in 1985.
    greg

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Thank you all. Definitely pretty much the same except for that odd trailing whisker. I wonder what 1stdibs sold theirs for . . .

i need help likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The whisker really isn't odd,it was just a way to make the near side of the head more 3D when the piece was done in repossee.

7. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Ah... okey doke. Thanks.