Featured Chinese women on plaques - Many questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 15, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was trying not to buy any more things this month, but I was immediately attracted to these and the price was right. What I observed about them is that the figures are not hand painted and you can see the edges of the transfers (I hope that is the right word), but someone overlaid them with thick paint in places creating a sort of three dimensional effect. The plaques are 5 inches by 7 inches. The frames are well made. My questions are as follows:
    1. Are they modern or vintage? Or is that an impossible question?
    2. Bronwen has answered this. They are the four beauties of Ancient China with a seasonal format.
    3. Are they ceramic or porcelain?
    4. What is this technique of painting over transfers called, so I can do research on my own?
    Whatever you can tell me is fine, but I hope I can get the seeds so I can use them to learn a little bit about this kind of thing.

IMG_1659.jpg IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1662.jpg IMG_1663.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    kyratango, Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I can't answer your questions sorry.
    But notice the faces are somewhat Anglicized - So I vote newer.
    They are still pretty.
    upload_2019-2-15_18-18-48.png upload_2019-2-15_18-20-44.png

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very nice , Kiko! :)
    I’m not much help, except to suggest you take close-ups of signatures. Maybe @JayBee @Silver Wolf or @lpan9 will be able to help.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I keep going back & forth with myself over whether they strike me as Japanese or Chinese, but think you may be right about their representing the seasons. Best guess is that the order they are shown in is: Summer (by default); Winter (the head scarf & indoor activity indicated by musical instrument, less greenery); Spring (when flowers bloom & peacocks put on their mating display); Autumn (harvest moon in background, looks like incense burning?) Agree they appear geared to western taste. And very pretty. :)

5. KikoBlueEyes

Will do. Thanks

kyratango and i need help like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

7. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for identifying them. I wasn't sure about two of them. Perhaps because they are for Western taste, the differences are not as clear.

8. Bronwen

9. KikoBlueEyes

10. Bronwen

11. KikoBlueEyes

12. Bronwen

13. KikoBlueEyes

Figtree3, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

They are now! :joyful:

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4166C81F-978A-4C52-BEE8-A9DC01E05EF2.jpeg Give @Bronwen a loose thread, she unravels everything! :)

16. Bronwen

I think you have to have a screw loose first! :joyful:

17. Bronwen

From good ol' Wikipedia:

upload_2019-2-16_0-55-21.png

So , for me, the new mystery is how has the convention in portraying them came to keep Yang Guifei & her flowers, Diaochan & her eclipsed moon, while introducing another who holds a stringed instrument, perhaps to indicate that her voice is more beautiful. In KBE's version, the remaining lady has both birds & presumably fish; in the other sets this one is variable. Sometimes this one seems to be holding yarn: soft as silk or as fine wool?

Guess it's similar to what happened with cameos over time: after a long period of consistent conventions for depicting various mythological figures, the traditional attributes became muddled & other elements crept in.

18. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE THEM ALL !!! ... Joy.

19. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

yes it is chinese,the chinese like to make this serial wall plaque based on season,i have one in my home but it's not 4 beauties it's chinese scenery serial.this looks like modern reproduction,but my guess it could be late 20th century.anyway,its beautiful!

20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

They are really pretty and appealing!

Draft saved Draft deleted