Featured Chinese wooden carving of the thousand hand Guan Yin - 19th C

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN, May 12, 2018.

1. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN Contemporary Visual Artist, Female

Hello, I couldn't fit this item in any other category, hope I'm posting it in the right one. Again, one of the many pieces in my dad's collection. The title is all I know and I would love to find out more about this piece.

We are guessing it's from Tibet.

Material: Assuming its rosewood
    Height: 58 inches
    Lenght: 38 inches

Very heavy and delicate handling is required. every arm (by both sides) can be detached.
    Thousand hand KuanNin 1.jpg Thousand hand KuanNin 3.jpg Thousand hand KuanNin .jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

That is just amazingly beautiful!

3. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you! It is quite mesmerizing to stand right in front of it! I am just hoping to get more information on this.

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That is 'not' your every day tourist carving !!! WOW !!!!!

Quite handy too......:playful::playful::playful::rolleyes:

5. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thanks! Exactly, we were astonished when dad brought it back home! Handily handy haha!

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous. Very elegant, and I love all the little hands.
    She doesn't have great age, but who cares, with a beauty like this.
    Definitely Chinese, not Tibetan. Tibetan style is different, they don't worship Guanyin, and would have great difficulty getting hold of such an amazing piece (or pieces) of wood to carve from.
    In Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhism Tara is the female aspect of compassion. She was born of the compassionate tears of Avalokiteshvara. Tara is depicted in different colours, each coloured Tara is a representation of a different property or aspect.

Here is something I wrote in another thread:
    "Guanyin is a fusion of the Buddhist Bodhisattva of mercy Avalokiteshvara (male), and a pre-Buddhist Chinese Goddess. A Bodhisattva is an aspect of the Buddha.
    Avalokiteshvara is called "the one with a thousand arms and a thousand eyes", to reach out to all those in need. The many faces serve to see and hear all suffering.
    Although this Guanyin is based on Avalokiteshvara, according to Chinese tradition Guanyin was given "a thousand arms" by the celestial Buddha Amithaba to save people from Samsara, the cycle of rebirth. She is the guardian of sailors."

In your carving, the figure on top is the celestial Buddha Amithaba himself, seated on a lotus throne.

7. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Couldn't agree more! She is a priceless beauty. Thank you for the info, the narrative always amazes me, it was most insightful. I believe this is of good value. You know, all this makes me want to do my masters in Sotheby's institution however they are damn expensive. Thank you for taking the time!

8. Any Jewelry

There are other ways of getting where you want to be.:)
    You are a contemporary visual artist, what kind of art? Would you like to share some pictures? Only if you want to, and if you prefer, you can post them in the 'general discussion' forum, that is for members only. And, if you don't mind my asking, what have you been studying so far?

9. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

First I would like to know the name of this person who is engaging in a very conversation with me. (That's if you don't mind).

I would love to and thank you for asking :). I am will finishing my Bachelor's in Fine Arts pretty soon. I am also intending to take Master in Fine arts after this. I enjoy working with materials and my fascination with how various materials respond to gravity, light, and space pretty much sums up my practice.

My website: ryashini.com ( all of my works are in there :)
    that is a screenshot, can navigate through my works.. 123.jpg

10. Any Jewelry

Great way to approach materials, Yashini, and great work, very organic. I googled your website, but didn't find anything.
    About the name, many members don't use their own name on a public forum, for privacy reasons. Some people here know my name through private conversations, and I know theirs. But on the forum we still address each other with the forum names. AJ, Any, or Any Jewelry are all fine, I answer to all.:)

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id actually throw something out to make room for this stunning sculpture! WOW!

12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Just to add to this, if you want a particular member to view your thread or posting, put an ampersand symbol next to their username. Eg. @Any Jewelry

This will give that member an alert to go look at your thread.

Welcome to the forum!

13. Any Jewelry

And it worked.;)

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you AJ, I love to be inventive with materials! Appreciate it. Ohh! you can just paste this in the URL and I'm pretty sure it'll load up. www.ryashini.com

I tried changing my name but I realized I couldn't. Alright, it has been a pleasant conversation AJ!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Hello Johnny, I'm assuming you're referring to the rosewood Guan Yin? Yes, it's beautiful but massive!

17. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Hi TDC! Thank and am glad to be here. nice! Noted and thanks for that tip!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

It did, thank you. Really great work, Yashini, I love it. If I still managed a gallery, I would love to exhibit your work. Alas, I don't, so I can't.
    I saw your name on an Italian site, so you definitely will be going places.

19. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you AJ! Very glad you loved it! This really means a lot to me, even the smallest bit of encouragement goes a really long way!

Wow that's nice that you owned a gallery before. Would have loved to exhibit too. Yes, it's a virtual exhibition and hopefully, it all goes well. Will hit you guys up with the link once the exhibition commences and God Bless :shame:

Please do let me know if anyone you know owns a gallery and are looking for works to exhibit! would be a great!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

What an amazing carving,I've never seen anything like it. Thank-you for sharing your treasures:)

Mill Cove Treasures and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted