Featured Chinese Yixing Teapot??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Silver Wolf, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hello guys,i got this item couple months ago,the information that i got this is kind of chinese pottery yixing teapot,there's a mark in below it,it wrote Zhao Wa Jing Li Wen Qing Jin Shui Zhao it means Jawa Cirebon Made By Qing Jin Shui,and it was said 19th century.At first i think it was chinese,but the brass decoration is unsual for chinese yixing style,especially the mark was very clear it was stated for Cirebon Jawa,so i've assumed this yixing was made in Cirebon.For more information cirebon and it's near area was famous for it's poci tea,so about the origin i'm sure it was indonesian.What do you think about the age guys?any information will be appreciated,thank you

20190121-049-3.jpg 20190121-051-3.jpg 20190121-052-3.jpg 20190121-053-3.jpg

i need help, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Its beautiful and unusual!

3. Silver Wolf

thanks!

i need help, judy and aaroncab like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A gorgeous little teapot, S Wolf, and yes, made for teh poci.
    The lid of the poci is very domed, unlike Chinese teapots. That is how you can tell the Javanese and Chinese pots apart.
    I think the metal fittings are rare, but they remind me of antique Chinese porcelain here in the Netherlands. The Dutch often mounted it with silver parts, like this little Kangxi doll's house teapot:

[​IMG]

There are more gorgeous Chinese porcelain items mounted with Dutch silver on this page:
    http://www.haefkensantiek.nl/porseleinzilver.htm

19th century is likely for your cutie. Will this be a keeper?

Just an aside, poci is derived from the Dutch word potje, which means small pot. Just like peci from petje, small cap. My Indonesian teacher told me that about 17% of the Indonesian language is derived from Dutch. (And here I have to admit shamefully that I forgot most of my Indonesian.:shame: )

5. Silver Wolf

thanks,great info AJ.the seller got this item originally from cirebon,and when i open the top,i still can see there're some blackened tea leaves left inside.ugghh...and you're right many words here derived from dutch,kerah (collar),dah (bye),brug (bridge) this one is only in my local hometown,and this potje i just knew it from you,dank je!

6. Any Jewelry

Graag gedaan, S Wolf.:)

7. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Looks very old! The base of the spout looks rough, is that due to repair?

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  8. Silver Wolf

yes,it was repaired before

judy likes this.
  9. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Just had a close look at the bottom characters 爪哇 井里汶 沈金水 造, it clearly tell it was made in Indonesia。(a) 爪哇: Indonesia 。(b) 井里汶 JING LI WEN, 沈金水 SHEN JIN SHUI: two makers names. (c) 造 made.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

because it was made outside of China and repaired, it should have a low value because without Chinese buyers to support, price cannot go high.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Silver Wolf said it was Javanese made in his post, and it was already established this is a teh poci, rather than a Chinese teapot.
    The market for traditional Javanese items is different from the market for Chinese items. More niche, but also differing valuations. You can't compare the two.

judy, BoudiccaJones, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  12. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

The bottom clearly indicates it is Chinese characters and Chinese immigrant makers, I would say makers came from Yixing China area

13. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Hi, thanks for the reminding! It is uncommon that I failed to read all the messages in this thread.

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Yes, this was made on the North Coast of Java, which has had different Chinese communities for centuries. The North Coast is on the Spice Route, so very international.
    Many potters in the Indonesian coastal areas were either Peranakan, centuries old mixed Chinese-local families, or 19th century Chinese immigrants and their descendants. They brought their crafts with them, but adapted them to local needs and markets
    The last group is regarded as newcomers, and separate from the long established Peranakan. All potters made items for all different ethnic communities.

Since the Peranakan generally kept using Chinese script (many also knew Kawi, Jawi and Latin scripts), it is difficult to say if this was made by a Peranakan or a newcomer.
    I am a descendant of a 15th century Chinese mayor of Tuban, also on the North Coast of Java, by the way.;) There are a few real Peranakan lurking on the forum as well.:D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  15. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Thanks for the great information that I never knew!

16. Any Jewelry

We live in a wonderful world, don't we.:)

judy, Silver Wolf and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

It sh
    really true

18. Silver Wolf

i think this thing is not for chinese market buyer,but it belong to indonesian chinese heritage antiques,many people want to have the pieces of their ancestry history,so i think it will sell well,thank you

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  19. Silver Wolf

wow,i just realized you are descendant of tuban's mayor,can i have your ancestry name aj?:angelic:

judy and komokwa like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

I am a (distant) descendant of the royal family of Madura, Tjakraningrat / Cakraningrat.
    The name of the Chinese mayor in my ancestral line is Gan Eng Cu, who was appointed by Majapahit queen Stri Suhita, to give you an idea of the period. Both his children married into royal families. I am his descendant through his daughter, Dewi Candrawati.

S Wolf, I think you may have an idea which other people I am related to in Javanese history, and why I have an interest in mysticism.;) Not that I am anywhere near their level.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted