Chippendale form upholstered wingback armchair of carved oak. Irish ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Golgatha, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

This comfortable chair, here shown with the original upholstering, is carved with ball-and-claw, Acanthusflowers and -leaves and the Celtic knot. That leads me to suggest that it's Irish and maybe from around 1900. What do you say ?

mø18 a.PNG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Michael77 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a quality chair. Could we see the Celtic knot? Many intertwined designs from other countries also end up being called Celtic knot, it was a popular motif during many periods and in many countries.

3. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

The Celtic knot is in front of you. Just under the carved, circular ornament.

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

doooood.

Hear this in the spirit it is meant: your photos are always small and out-of-focus. Unless you're just here to yank chains, you need to provide better pictures.

If you're just here to yank chains, good job!

5. Any Jewelry

I know it is, I can see the vague contours of an intertwined motif. But I can't see the detail, or I wouldn't have asked, obviously.
    Maybe someone who is able to figure out from your one blurry photo what kind of intertwined motif it actually is, and if it is Celtic, and if so, what kind of Celtic, can help you.
    Exactly! And I thought I asked politely, and clearly with the intention to help. But...
    I am off now to help those who cooperate with our efforts to help them.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ladies...... this gentleman is a new member , and all new members should be treated with respect and love.

He's just getting the hang of things here, and maybe doesn't have access to more photo's than the one posted.

Yes, @Golgatha , it's a lovely chair with a beautiful design, but what you need to be aware of is that many members here use smartphones and close ups are often needed to reveal small details .

I think it's known as a wing back type of chair, but other than that I can not confirm or deny your suggestion as to age or location of manufacture.

I'm sure our furniture lovers will be around very soon to comment on this wonderful item.

If I may be so bold as to ask.... is this yours...are you thinking of buying it....or is it just a random photo that you found somewhere , and are showing it in the hopes of starting a spirited conversation to see if your knowledge is up to that of our senior members..?

In any event, may the Lord keep you in harmony & shower you with love.
    Komokwa

7. Jivvy

I meant "dooooood, sir."

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not to worry ....... ;)

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Any Jewelry, I don't know if this helps you or not......the pattern or rather upholstery which looks nice, detracts from the wood part of the chair in the image, I know!!
    X2ZZZZZZ arm closeup chair-edit.jpg

11. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Aqui.:)

Not a Celtic knot.;)

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks @Any Jewelry

13. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

Thanks for the comments. Not all friendly - and I wonder why ?, I'm a friendly person - but still. As shown above, it's perfectly possible to see the details on my photo. I bought the chair at an auction and now it has a new upholstering. It's not up for sale. I keep it. Just wanted to hear if anyone knew more about it than I. And finally: It is of course a Celtic knot between the circular ornament and the Acanthus flower. You can find the same pattern by googling Celtic knot.

14. Jivvy

Chain yanking, it is. Well done.

15. Any Jewelry

No it isn't, as is perfectly plain for all to see, so no games please.
    Even after the effort Aquitaine put into tweaking it when you couldn't be bothered to take a closeup of your own chair, it is still a blur. And you were rather snippy and condescending when I tried to help you, which I do not appreciate.
    Details like whether the twist (not a knot!) was carved in sections or not, being actually several twists (not knots), can help in identification. With all praise to Aquitaine, all that is still a blur.

But you clearly don't want any identification, so that is ok where you are concerned. I am just sorry I wasted time on someone who didn't really want any help in the first place and was rather rude to someone who wanted to help. Don't worry, I won't make that mistake again.

16. Any Jewelry

Not only are you being condescending again, but you rely on google for information. If you do that, whether on Celtic knots or anything else, you will end up with a lot of misinformation. As with anything else, it is check and double check in the world of arts and antiques. A rookie mistake, and hopefully a lesson learnt.

Just so you know in future, from the Book of Kells, ca 800 AD:
    [​IMG]

17. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

Many other sources for Celtic knots than The Book of Celts.

18. Any Jewelry

Yes, dear.:rolleyes:
    You don't really expect me to post several million examples, do you? I have done enough for you already, and all I get from you is condescension and arrogance.

And it is Kells, not Celts. After the abbey of Kells in the town of Kells, Ireland.
    Really!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  19. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

condescending comments removed.

*Read the rules*.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Any Jewelry 's autograph is on all mysteries she kindly solved...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted