Featured Duncan Phyfe Style Sofa: Age and Value, Original or Reproduction?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Larry Ashlock-Chambless, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Just purchased this sofa second-hand. Just curious if age and value.

EDIT: Thanks to a reply below, I now know it’s a Duncan Phyfe style. So how do I know if it’s an original or reproduction? I’d assume it’s a reproduction, but how could I tell?
    It appeared to sink a little when sitting on it so I took the bottom material off to have a look. Preface: What I know about furniture is the little I googled just now. It appears to be 8 way tied springs with horse hair stuffing which is falling through in some spots. Peaking through the straps it appears the strings are broken in some spots and some springs are turned which would account for the sinking. I’ll probably tackle repairing it myself as I like researching and trying new things.

It does appear to have been reupholstered at some point based on the staples that were used on the fabric but I don’t think too much was done underneath or it was several years back. There are two different tack types on the straps which would account for a more recent repair.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That's a delight! And not only is the upholstery excellent, but it has been perfectly fitted. Hope you can make it sit-on-able without its removal!

3. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

But not all have ONE cushion, and those neckroll thingles!

judy, Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. alex webb

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. judy, Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Gut feeling says later reproduction,but Im often wrong. Its a pretty thing.

8. alex webb

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Many variations over the years since the very early 1800s, when Duncan created the sofas that made him famous, as illustrated in Alex's photo.

Larry's is a particularly nice version, looking to date from the late 19th century, maybe early 20th century, long after Duncan himself was gone. So...not a reproduction, exactly, but a reinterpretation. One could still buy them well into the mid 20th century. Not worth alot, but very nice upholstry and well worth keeping.

judy likes this.
  10. Do you happen to know if the legs on sofas of this age screwed on? I’m fixing the springs and replacing all the straps etc. First time DYIing a sofa. The last vertical strap runs under the legs so they have to be removed. I didn’t want to put too much effort twisting it until I knew for sure that’s how they were attached back then.

Thanks in advance.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted