Featured Christ on the cross...XVI...XVII..XVIIIth Cent..?? Portuguese..Dutch..Spanish..!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by BTZ64, Jan 31, 2020.

?

Portuguese ,Spanish or Dutch Period Christ on cross..??

1. XVI..XVIII..XIXth Cent Period..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. What type of wood..Body and Cross..??

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Here is an antique Christ on a wooden cross...Quite a naive work,but very Expressive...I mean..To my Eyes...
    Searching from web to books...Not so sure of his provenance....But with my Obstination with Ceylon...I would think it comes from the Portuguese or Dutch Period...
    This Christ cross carving deserves some repairs or restauration...A thing I don't know how to but do, 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 005.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG doesn't look major..And as well don't want to make a mistake and ruine it....
    So,Restaurateurs..Experts..Connoisseurs...Please Help me and give me as much you can Infos..!!
    Only the cross measures 45x34cm And the Christ body 30x27 cm
    Thanks
    JB

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot tell that this is actually old. His hair looks resin cast. Everything about the age on this piece looks fabricated into a resin mold. It's difficult for me to determine if the cross itself is actually made of wood. It may be..
    perhaps you meant obsession with Ceylon? I'm not sure why you think this is from where - is this a piece you are looking to bid on in an online auction? ;)

Fid, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a Santos figure

Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is exactly the same style as Goan ivory crucifixes, so if you got it in Asia, Indo-Portuguese is an option.
    Philppines (Spanish) could be too, depending on where you found it.
    If you got it in Europe, I would look towards Spain and Portugal.

As for Dutch, remember, during much of the VOC-period Catholics in the Netherlands were persecuted and often murdered for their faith. They had secret churches, and their statues were much more Baroque that this one. Think Rubens style.
    The VOC only tolerated 'Portuguese' Catholics in the East Indies. That was simply because they weren't Dutch or German, and they were already there.
    So any crucifixes made in the Dutch East Indies during that period would have no Dutch influence at all.
    Dutch Catholics only got total freedom of religion in 1848, decades after the VOC period.

5. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Love your accurate comments...Happy we start to understand each other slowly on real facts and sharp eyes and knowledge...Yes I am focalising may be too much on Ceylon and Netherlands...But those far away countries have been part of your and our history...Hope to continue this fair and obvious dialogue and communication with you for longer...??

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

What a way to spend Easter ...

anundverkaufen and BTZ64 like this.
  7. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks for your comments...But without any sarccasism...I Will recommend you to visit Museums..Read books and travel
    Hi there..If I can allow myself on your comments and without Sarcasm...I will just recommend you to learn more about antiques..History..Period ..Style etc...So many Museums to be visited..So many books to be read...Well...Antiques is like a Dope..If you don't have the Eye..The Nose..The feeling or even the Heart...Forget it...You are passing by out of so many treasures of history around you...JB

8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

You haven't told us what this is made of or why you think it is old. If not resin is it plaster? The breaks at the arms suggest it isn't wood? But what is it (you can hold it we can't). If the cross is wood, then is it painted? Cross does not look that old to me since it has the electric saw marks on the back. No need to go to a museum.

9. Any Jewelry

I don't think the Christ and the cross started out life together. This is a folk piece, and folk pieces often have a history of 'cobbling'.

kyratango, anundverkaufen and BTZ64 like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

So you only really want to hear from members who agree with you, so you already KNOW that the statue is antique ??? The members here are VERY knowledgeable and HAVE studied and read books .. they deserve more respect that the crap that YOU are dishing out !!!

11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi there..Thanks to spend sometime with my Item...Well...In Life for me ...According to your Knowledge Experience and mode of Learning...There is two ways...Or You Know...Or you don't know...The best is to Know..If you read some comments which have been made on this Object by Expert Lover or Follower...You will discover that this piece is maybe 250 years old ...Would think Indo Portuguese is right...?? Need more facts..!!Carved in wood and still very fragile after so many years still kept in a descent shape.....From 1650..to 2020..So many things have been able to happen to a simple Christ wooden carving...This where the mystery and research become exciting ....Hope you understand..JB....PS: If you have followed the items ,Antiques and other Subjects that I posted on this Site...You can watch see and look an Ink painting on paper..That I got just today from an other Professional Expert Source that might be almost for sure 008.JPG 008.JPG an Original Drawing for an Historic Scene of Roman time ,Drawn and Attributed to Theodoor Boeyermans Dutch Painter 1620/1678....So I hope you understand the Passion and Love I can have for Original..Genuine and Beautiful things of the past.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Agree with You 100%..The Cross came after 33 Years for him..(Not funny..But Joke..) But I am sure it came from Indo Portugese time...16..What ever...Thanks for your Great and Accurate Comments..Jck

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

14. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

It is not what I ever wanted to mean at all to You..I have a lot of respect for you all on this Site and am very happy and open on Learning,Analysing,Prooving and Delegating as I do to my Children who love and study History of Arts between France and Ireland.....But am as well suspicious on Pieces that I or We are not sure about....So Knowledge,Information,Sharing,are the best ways to ameliorate ourselves to Know more and Better...jb

kyratango likes this.
  15. Christmasjoy

I feel like you insulted one of our members by recommending that they 'Visit museums, read books, and travel' .. You obviously don't want to hear the opinions of others if they don't match yours .. I think that your figure is RESIN !!! .. Now YOU go and read some books.

BoudiccaJones, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Jacques, the thing is, antidiem has a lot of experience, and says what she sees. She may not always be 100% accurate every time, none of us are.
    Rougly carved hair with a thick layer of paint etc can look like resin, especially if your eyes are playing tricks on you, which can happen to all of us. But she never meant to put the crucifix down, she was just making sure. That is what we do.
    A devil's advocate can be a good reason to take another look.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  17. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Just recommend you to read this Book of History of Arts and Furniture during 003.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG Dutch Period in Ceylon 1640/1796....

18. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Unfortunately...Still looking for Faberge Specials..!!! But who knows..!!

kyratango likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

This may be a good time to stop commenting on antidiem's reply.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  20. Any Jewelry

Hope springs eternal.:)

BTZ64 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted