Featured Christian Dior and other costume jewelry - Donate or keep

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jun 24, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I purchased a bunch of costume jewelry for a recent trip from the local American Cancer Society resale shop. I intended to donate all of it back, but wanted to check with you all on a couple of pieces to determine if they were vintage and therefore, worth keeping for a while. I would appreciate any comments.

IMG_3300.jpg IMG_3315.jpg IMG_3299.JPG IMG_3297.jpg IMG_3298.jpg IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3305.jpg IMG_3313.jpg IMG_3290.JPG IMG_3294.JPG

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

I edited them away. :facepalm:

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I had a necklace similar to your first one probably in the 60-70s.
    Are the pearls real since it says Japan?
    Patd

5. KikoBlueEyes

40 or 50 years old is good. I'm not sure about the pearls. I did the tooth test but I couldn't tell. Is there another way?

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're costume. The setting is costume, the "stones are costume", and the pearls don't look real either.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, most likely faux pearls, with that costume setting and 'stone'. They are pretty though, as are the others.

Kiko, with your and patd's avatars, I felt I was intruding on a Siamese conversation, and expected that stare cats give you when you enter 'their' room.:hilarious:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    i need help, sch3gsd, SBSVC and 8 others like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I would be keeping the Dior.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, the Dior is nice. Very Dynasty. I think I see a lobster claw clasp which means not so old.

Debora

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the "M" hangtag on the 2nd piece, but I'd be keeping these, esp. 1 & 3. Agree, costume, but kind of fun. The set marked "Japan" is unusual. Not to say huge resale, but nicer examples of costume. A cut above a lot of newer stuff that is out there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

12. KikoBlueEyes

You're right. When I see Pat'd's handsome boy, I always feel a connection. People who are owned by Siamese cats are a special group.

i need help and SBSVC like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I know this is one of your areas of expertise, so I really appreciate your comments. I still have a dozen other pieces to return to them, but I think I'll save these for the next trip I take.

i need help likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

I bought them because they were costume, but from afar would look nice. Actually someone thought the Dior was real. I don't take good jewelry on trips because I am concerned about losing luggage, etc. so I have been looking for pieces that look decent. I appreciate your comments as I know you have a lot of knowledge.

i need help likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for your thoughts. I like this one the best too.

i need help and Houseful like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I know that clasps date jewelry, but I all I know is from what I read here.

i need help and KSW like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you all for looking and making comments. I think I will keep them unless I find something else to take with me when I travel.

i need help and KSW like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The Dior is 1980s. It was made by a company called Grosse, and has a very distincive clasp.

I think the M is MOnet.

My Dior and Grosse bits: see what I mean about the clasp? B87C.jpg B86A (2).jpg B87A.jpg B87D.jpg B87B.jpg

19. KikoBlueEyes

i need help and Ownedbybear like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Dior is real but it's a licensed product. Brand did a big ad campaign in the 1980s to tie their licensed products -- and there were a lot! -- under Dior umbrella.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted