Christian Dior Tankard with Fish Handle...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nick Curtis, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Nick Curtis

Nick Curtis New Member

Hey Everyone [​IMG]

I have this Fish Handle Tankard(Not sure if its silver plated or what) which has a Christian Dior Made In England stamped on the bottom.

My grandfather received it in the 1950s while stationed in Germany, possibly as part of some sort of military award (that part is still unconfirmed) The item was discovered in the attic after his passing in a box from the era he was stationed there.

Just hoping to shed some light on it since it seems to be an odd piece that I cannot find information about anywhere.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christian Dior was widely licensed in the 1950s. As your piece was (obviously) not made by the fashion house (as it's not fashion,) it's possible it was the result of such an agreement. Or... it's use of the Christian Dior logo was not authorized. By way, given its shape, would it not best be called a mug, rather than a stein?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Dior_SE

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Given the bad stamping of the mark, it is not a quality item, whatever the name says. So I would say not authorised.
    With the fish handle, I think it is more likely to be a fishing trophy than a military award. Or there is something fishy in the world of military awards.:playful:

i need help, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

the Made in England bit is fine, but that Christian Dior has been added rather badly.

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

78A34950-92AF-4DD2-95B2-B71B0FED985C.jpeg What’s off too, seems others I see, have the fish handle facing the other way.

7. Nick Curtis

Nick Curtis New Member

Is it the same maker?

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This is a broken link, so I can’t tell the maker. But in a general search, all the fish face the other way.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So this one could be a trophy for catching the biggest fish when drunk?:playful:

i need help and kyratango like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

How odd for the fish to be facing downward. Maybe the one that got away? (Just joking...)

It's very interesting. I would clean up something like that and keep it, especially with a family connection.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted