Featured Christmas collectors - vintage hard plastic santa, reindeer, and sled who made them?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got these plastic decorations today - I won't call them blow molds because they are hard plastic and probably made prior to blow molds coming on the scene. Each piece figure was made in two halves and then glued together.
    I thought they were made by Poloron because I have a large blow mold set where the antlers and ears on the reindeer are made in one piece like these are and are removable, but haven't found any other like these small ones by googling. I didn't set up the sleigh for the photo - the runners have to be repaired. The Santa is 18" tall (I've had ones like him before, without the hole in his belly to put the end of the reins in). The reindeer are white hard plastic with gold accents and are 20" long. There are lights for both reindeer and the santa.

DSCN8988.JPG

DSCN8990.JPG

DSCN8992.JPG

DSCN8993.JPG

AJefferson, cxgirl, Aquitaine and 9 others like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Book, I know you love those old Santa and reindeer decorations! I happen to think these reindeer are especially cute. Growing up, we never had any (Mom was never into outdoor decorations) but they still remind me of my youth!

judy, Lucille.b, i need help and 2 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Neat. Are there any marks on them like Hong Kong or Japan or USA in teeny letters?

judy, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

I looked carefully all over each one and couldn't see any marks.

judy, Aquitaine, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Our decorations were "minimalist", if you know what I mean... Now you should see my house!! :D

SBSVC, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

OMG, I love these!

Can't help with the maker. Definitely seem quite vintage though.

Imagine they are to die for when lit up. Nice find!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not really any help, but the opening on the reindeer looks like it would take a plug of the sort used on plastic still banks. Searching whoever made those might help.

Reliable Plastic did hard plastic toys in Canada, but a quick search didn't turn up anything useful.

Those slab legs are fairly distinctive.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Thanks moreotherstuff - I actually have the plugs for the openings - they hold the light bulbs in. There are no markings on them.

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

The odd thing is, these particular santas are fairly common (unmarked), but I don't recall ever seeing these reindeer.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The color of the reindeer look similar to the color of some vintage Christmas ornaments made by Carnival Toy Co here in the USA back in the 1960's.

The ornaments I am referring to are the glow in the dark hard plastic ones. I don't know any more than that. Wish I could help. Good luck.

13. Bookahtoo

Hey - I got three of those glow in the dark ones today too - an elephant, penguin, and donkey!

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

In the second picture, are those wires?

I think the whole in the bottom of the reindeer are for those 4 watt bulbs to light up the reindeer.

Personally, I do not think they are as old as you would like them to be.

I think old ones from the 50s would have had metal wire stands, not the triangular plastic. Also, I don't think the antlers would have been removeable.

I'm thinking more like the 1980s-90s.
    Only my opinion, and I can be very wrong at times.

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think they are a Dead-ON Match with the WorthPoint ones!!!!!

zzzzDEER234.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    i need help, Bakersgma, judy and 3 others like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Ineedhelp - those are them! They probably didn't wash theirs. :D

Vintage Christmas is the only thing I'll claim to know about, and these are old.

I should have been more clear about the holes - both deer and the santa have plugs to hold in the lights, and there is an old 3 light double wire strand included. I'll take pictures later - it's unusual.

18. Bookahtoo

aquitaine - they have their ears on backwards....:hilarious:

19. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I know nothing but love... :joyful:

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  20. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Kitschy! The Santa is listed on page 392 of the Pictorial Guide to Ornaments and Collectibles by George Johnson, 2004, Collector Books, KY. Listed as light-up, hard plastic, 1955-60, $15-20, no maker given, rated R4, uncommon. I have one but it's buried in the attic so I can't check for marks right now. I imagine taht if yours is not marked, mine won't be either. I could not find the reindeer in any of my 5 Xmas Collectible books. (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/c...aign=Feed:+AntiquersUpdate+(Antiquers+Update))

cxgirl and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted