Featured Chrysoprase or Jade? beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 19, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Or something else?
    Went to see my mother today and she gave me a handful of vintage necklaces including this one
    Definitely gemstone but after that my research is stalling as some jade looks like chrysoprase and vice versa. A few have black specks, all are a slightly different colour, some very green, some almost have a touch of yellow and one is translucent.

Any help please to identify and why so I don't have to bug you all with the next green bead necklace! :)
    Thankyou
    IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1491.jpg IMG_1492.jpg IMG_1493.jpg IMG_1494.jpg IMG_1495.jpg

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Meant to add it's about 20cm folded over.

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I have the same problem KSW. Got a bunch of green beads here on the pile. I’ve only seen the really expensive green jades in pictures from the big auction houses and they look similar to yours here. Can you see any structure using a loupe? I expect you had a good look already. Sorry I can’t help but look forward to reading others advice.

judy and KSW like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Hard to tell with the light reflections,etc. but many beads appear to have bubbles.

judy and KSW like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My first thought is jade when I see those dark spots, what does Mary Contrary say? I hate to say it but a gem tester will give you the answer you need.

Any Jewelry, judy and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's tricky to get a good picture but definitely no bubbles as glass was my first thought too.
    Mary Contrary Mark III is less Contrary than Marks I &II. The software is still glitchy but the results are fairly sound.
    She says definitely gemstone and gives me the choice of Chrysoprase, Demantoid ( don't even know what that is),Emerald (I wish!),Jadeite,Paraiba ?? Peridot -No or Tsavorite! so it doesn't narrow it down much. I wish I'd bought the analogue one but hindsight is great.
    So with such a wide choice I've scoured the internet and come to no conclusion whatsoever!.

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've had a look and there isn't much to see but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
    Would be very nice if they were Jade but part of me thinks wouldn't they have a more expensive clasp too?. I just don't know!. I could take them to our local auction house but whether they know either is anyone's guess.
    Is Jade heavy for its size as these are some weight.

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I think your gem tester needs a new "brain". Demantoid is garnet,Emerald is beryl and Paraiba is tourmaline.Everything you listed are totally different types of stones,it's just a wild guess with no reference as to what the stones actually are.

Msalicia, judy and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That's why I'm here for more superior brains!
    Fortunately MC is spot on with diamonds and sapphires, the rest as you say is not to be relied upon.

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

KSW and judy like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow, and I was thinking chrysoprase was the poor relation!
    Thankyou

kyratango likes this.
  12. kyratango

:happy: Natural chrysoprase is not to be confused with the green dyed chalcedony which is called same in jewellery world (lots of confusing appellations there:facepalm:;))

Any Jewelry, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

So we call two different gemstones the same name and wonder why we all get confused :banghead:.
    How would I recognise Chalcedony vs Chrysoprase and indeed vs Jade?. Any helpful tests?. I suspect not or you would have told me!:banghead:

kyratango likes this.
  14. kyratango

There surely are tests... With professional gemmologist equipment:D
    For us, amateurs collectors;) we have to go with scratch tests to situe stones on the Mohs scale, and MOSTLY (for me at least!) with my guts and feeling from the hue and internal structure (if visible...).
    The more identified stones you handled in person the more feelings you have:joyful:

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I thought about scratch tests but aren't Jade and Chrysoprase quite close together on the MOHs scale?. Off to google.......

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mine too.:)
    Are you sure?:wacky:

KSW likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Jade in that color and translucency wouldn't be on cheap string with a costume clasp, unless someone who had no clue restrung them about 50 years ago. They are however stone; I can see a fracture-like inclusion from here. That doesn't turn up in glass. Which stone it is ... dunno.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Can you show me where? So I know what I’m looking for please :)

kyratango likes this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Well at least this one tests things rather than sulking in a corner or inventing ghost gems. It is reliable with sapphire, spinel, diamond etc bless her she just gets overwhelmed with choice of semi precious gems. If someone can guide me to a more reliable tester that doesn’t cost more than my house I’d be all ears :hilarious:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Fourth image, about 9 o'clock, inner ring. I'm also seeing an agate-like band in one bead. These may well be dyed something or other.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted