Featured Chunky green (plastic/lucite?) bead necklace help please...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LucyLocket, May 1, 2022.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I have no idea of the age of this chunky necklace or what the beads are made of - plastic, lucite?
    20220501_180437.jpg 20220501_180151.jpg 20220501_180229.jpg 20220501_181800.jpg 20220501_180319.jpg 20220501_175616.jpg I would be grateful for any thoughts/input.
    The beads have a very slight marbled effect and an almost pearlescent finish in certain light.

Bakersgma, Joan, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to fairly recent, I've seen similar clasps to that.

3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

It looks like it wants to be bakelite, but like Ownedbybear said, the clasp/extender makes it look more recent. I've never seen bakelite beads with a pearlized finish (only lucite and celluloid), but I suppose it's possible they could be restrung vintage bakelite beads, especially because of the color and the way they're cut and graduated.

Is the necklace on the heavy side? Do the beads make kind of a clunky sound when handled? Bakelite is heavier than lucite, celluloid, and newer plastics. You could run the beads under hot water and see if they have a chemical (formaldehyde) smell--in which case they're most likely bakelite or catalin--if there's no smell they're not. There are other tests for bakelite such as rubbing it with a cotton swab dampened with a little Simichrome polish, 409 cleaner, or baking soda. If the cotton swab turns yellow, the beads are bakelite or catalin. If not bakelite/catalin, they could be restrung 1940's-50's-60's lucite or celluloid beads. Probably hard to date them unless you happen to run across some new necklaces that look the same.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  4. LucyLocket

Thanks for your replies. I don't think they are bakelite but did run them under a very hot tap - no smell at all. They clink rather than clunk if that makes sense and are fairly weighty. If they have been left untouched for a while they get a whitish sort of bloom on them which just rubs off. I have never come across beads of this shape before, I got them in a bag of mixed jewellery from a charity shop about 5 years ago. I love them and do wear them occasionally. They remind me of green rhubarb!

Joan likes this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I've also noticed the whitish bloom on somewhat heavy plastic bangle bracelets that I've left untouched for a while and where there isn't much air circulation and maybe too much humidity. Other plastic bracelets stored with them don't develop the whitish bloom, so there must be something different about the plastic. They're not bakelite, not lucite, not old, and not new either.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those metal tubes next to the hook closure usually point to India.
    The use of hook clasps is ancient, but they are still used today in some parts of the world.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Those hooks turn up on Indian and Chinese jewelry; it doesn't look like an old necklace.

8. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find Laura,,,,,,,,,, !!!!!!!! ;):)

BoudiccaJones and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. LucyLocket

Wow - thank you! I searched eBay but was only looking for vintage. The lobster clasp on mine has been changed to the hook & the tag has been removed. I don't really mind that it's newer as I like it anyway - was really just curious about what it was made of, now I know! Thanks again.

Figtree3, komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted