Featured Church cloths, what are they.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by daveydempsey, Apr 17, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I recovered these from the hoarder clearance, each cloth has a plain silky type back the same colour as the front and each has a envelope with the same design to fit in.

Pen for size comparison.
    20190417_130439.jpg

20190417_130544.jpg

20190417_130717.jpg

20190417_130144.jpg

20190417_130327.jpg

20190417_130357.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My guess is traveling communion cloths.

But let someone with more recent Catholic experience than mine confirm or deny. ;)

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They look like a burse and cloth. The cloth is to cover the chalice after communion and before it is rinsed and cleaned. The bursa goes on top of the cloth.
    greg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  4. gregsglass

Hi,
    They were different colors like the priest's robes according to the season. We used them in the chapel of the Rectory so they would be covered until taken to the church to be cleaned. Burse was the name given to the envelope it was a Latin name for purse.
    greg

5. daveydempsey

Thanks Greg.
    I wonder why she had these, she played for the other side :D

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The Devil??
    [​IMG]
    Gary Baseman

cxgirl, KSW, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. daveydempsey

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

High Church CofE uses those as well.

PortableTreasures, SBSVC, KSW and 6 others like this.
  9. gregsglass

Hi,
    We High Church Episcopalians use them here in America. We sorta became Rite I about 1900. Now we consider ourselves more Catholic than Rome since the 1960 changes.
    We still have our altars against the wall and the priest has his back to the people. Our mass is still in Old English and Latin. We pray for the Archbishop of Canterbury, the bishop of Rome (the Pope) and the Patriarch of the Orthodoxical church then the President of the USA
    greg

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Well, that too, generally. I'm one of those heathen Baptist types. We don't even use chalices never mind the fancy covers.(LOL) Our Communion cups are disposables. I do have a Communion chalice myself, but it's a piece of Depression glass probably not made for purpose. My dad picked it up when a church he went to as a boy closed down.

scoutshouse, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What do you ask for these days?

Bakersgma and scoutshouse like this.
  13. evelyb30

2020 (LOL) Wisdom for those in current office.

Fid, Bronwen and silverthwait like this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Interesting. I never saw a chalice that wasn't metal.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. gregsglass

Hi,
    I saw a very old Lutheran church which had been converted into a Spanish Pentecostal church. It was going to be torn down. Going through some of the many black plastic bags on the curb I found several treasures. Four solid mahogany collection plates. They had brass labels on the bottom saying who had donated them to the church in 1881, one brass candlestick donated in 1882 and six large altar cloths. I only had 20 mins to go through the bags before the trash trucks pulled up.:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:. I still have one collection plate. The other three I traced the family name and they were given to the family who donated them. The only remaining plate I never could trace the family as well as the candlestick. The altar cloths I donated to a Catholic church down the street.
    greg

16. Chandler In Las Vegas

Chandler In Las Vegas Active Member

Orthodoxical church = the Ecumenical Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church

Bronwen likes this.
  17. evelyb30

I'd have liked a dumpster dive in those bags too. I wonder what ELSE was in there!

Bronwen likes this.
  18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think I would have dragged the bags away from the curb & told the guys that I would take care of those bags myself. ;):smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Bronwen likes this.
  19. evelyb30

Been done! Dumpster divers call those "grab bags" as in you grab them.(LOL) You can always put the real trash out for the trash again later.

20. gregsglass

Hi,
    Unfortunately I had 20 mins and was walking. No time to gather at least 50 large black bags. IF I had the car, at least 20 more bags would have gone into it. I need a truck!!!!!!
    greg

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted